hf1

Marble LWI

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Marble LWI

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:54 pm

fluffycabbage wrote:wow that marble dyeing looks fab!!! Can you just use normal dylon dyes?: or do you have to use the ones they suggest? (are they different to dylon?)

It doesn't really work with dylon :?
I did try...
But partly I didn't have a suitable dish...

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:57 pm

I have a large marbling pan.. its about 80*100 cms.. its just a large plastic bath about 2 inches deep.. are you doign the shaving foam method?

You can get good sized drip trays too.. they do the job nicely :) cat littler trays are ok for smaller pieces ie A4
Dylon is fine to use. You just another medium like seaweed to make it thicker.

Emma.

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:59 pm

ems wrote:I have a large marbling pan.. its about 80*100 cms.. its just a large plastic bath about 2 inches deep.. are you doign the shaving foam method?

You can get good sized drip trays too.. they do the job nicely :) cat littler trays are ok for smaller pieces ie A4

Emma.

:shock: :shock: seaweed? :puke: :giggle:

can u use dylon for LWI dyeing?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:01 pm

fluffycabbage wrote:can u use dylon for LWI dyeing?

As I said before - no not really...
Edit to add: d'oh I read marble here - yes all my LWI has been done with dylon... But it doesn't work for marbling...

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:07 pm

Absolutely you can use the dylon for LWI. Buy the handwash one.. and fix as per the instructions. We are not talking the multi purpose washing machine dye here... we are talking the cold water dye.. which is mostly Procion MX dye anyway.

yup seeweed ... actually you can dye with seeweed too if your into natural dying,.. its a gorgous colour ;)

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:15 pm

fluffycabbage wrote:
ems wrote:I have a large marbling pan.. its about 80*100 cms.. its just a large plastic bath about 2 inches deep.. are you doign the shaving foam method?

Emma.

:shock: :shock: seaweed? :puke: :giggle:

can u use dylon for LWI dyeing?

All my LWI has been done with dylon :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:19 pm

ems wrote:Absolutely you can use the dylon for LWI. Buy the handwash one.. and fix as per the instructions. We are not talking the multi purpose washing machine dye here... we are talking the cold water dye.. which is mostly Procion MX dye anyway.

yup seeweed ... actually you can dye with seeweed too if your into natural dying,.. its a gorgous colour ;)

Sure Dylon can be used for LWI but not for marbling... It just doesn't work... (I'm not just speaking as me - I've read various things which say it doesn't)

(sorry misread your prev question so I've edited my post ;) )

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Dylon cold dye is a fibre reactive dye, also known as procion MX type or its generic chemical name, dichlorotriazine, and can be used for marbling. I use dylon cold dye aka procion MX for marbling with foam and with other sizes, ie seeweed. The fixative for the dylon cold dyes is sodium carbonate. ( or you can buy the very expensive sachet.. which is... sodium carbonate.

Dylon Cold Water dye, Procion MX, Cibacron F are all fiber reactive dyes, they all share the same reactive group which is dichlorotriazine which is more reactive than other types of dyes which is why they can be used with cold water.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:31 pm

I really should have looked at that link before attempted my last few bouts of marble dyeing. I saw a different tutorial that wasn't as clear as that one, but the idea was more or less the same except mine came out a bit more mish-mash! Still looks cool though, I will post pics when I can get pics onto the computer.

Thanks for the link! :D

ETA: I'm just about to try stamping shaving foam dye onto BV, was also considering painting it on with a paintbrush to make cute designs but not sure how much patience I have for that...

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!