hf1

urgent question re makling a quilt

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

urgent question re makling a quilt

Postby babyjjbaby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 pm

when you sew a quilt do you put the 2 right sides together and then turn it inside out and stich the bottom bit or do you have right sides facing out and the wadding in the middle and then do a binding i am getting so stressed from where i am stupid

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: urgent question re makling a quilt

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:20 pm

you place the bottom layer face down, then the batting ( the filling ) and then the top of the quilt face up. pin them all together and then sew. you can then hand stitch binding around the edge to give it the finnished look
hth

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 pm

fabby so you don't do it then turn it inside out do you still leave a half inch seam ?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:29 pm

no you dont turn it inside out cos of all the quilting you can do on the top. ie stiching designs in ect. you basically wanna make sure that each layer is as flat as possible so you dong get any gethers sewn in so pin it very well b4 you start stiching. if you google or you tube stictchinga a quilt it will show you the best way to do it.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:31 pm

i have looked at youtube but have got even more confused :oops: it was sposed to be a quilt cover but it wasn't wide enough so thought id make a qulit instead then just sew soem lines down it to stop the wadding from moving about

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Thats pretty much it to be honest lol. the only dificult bit is lining up the layers and pinning them so they dont move. once you have done that you are good to go. if you have got a big enough space on the floor you can tape the bottop layer to the floor to stop it moving which helps with the pinning too.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

putting the wuilt together is called basting so if you youtube that it might help

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:38 pm

ahh ok i am so crap i can't even cut straight

Return to DIY and share your projects!