Will someone please tell me if I'm mad!

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Will someone please tell me if I'm mad!

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:40 am

I never nested when pregnant with DS.

But given my thoughts the last couple of days, I'm thinking I must be now.

I have not knitted since I was about 12 years old, and hated it then. And can't remember how.
But I've now had the crazy idea that during my 3.5weeks mat leave before bubs is due I might try to knit a blanket.
I've picked out some lovely coloured wool on LLS, but have no idea how to go about this...

So my question is... for a complete and absolute beginner, is knitting a very very basic blanket in a couple of weeks possible? Or am I being completely mad at even considering this?

If there is any remote possibility of this happening, has anyone got suggestions where I might find a basic 'how to'?

Maybe I should just scrub floors instead...

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Will someone please tell me if I'm mad!

Postby Vicki » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:01 am

scrub floors :giggle: :giggle: or eat choccie and watch tv :giggle:

I would like to be able to knit but I am like you - knitted scarves in Primary school :giggle:

I do hope it goes well if you do embark on your project - share piccies :D

Vicki

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:08 am

Of course you can!! :mrgreen:

I decided I wanted to knit Ds some longies and picked up knitting needles for the first time since I was about 9 when nan used to try and teach me to knit...i picked a pattern...asked ALOT of questions on here and I did it! :wine:

I used you tube for tutorials on knitting, purling, cast on, cast off etc :wink:

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 am

OMG Tory, that looks amazing! Can't believe you hadn't done it before.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:30 am

Nope never knitted anything! :mrgreen: Now dont get me wrong there are a few mistakes in them but we use them and i love the fact that I made them! :mrgreen: Give it ago and it may take some practice but you will get it!

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 am

Wow those are great - well done Tory

Vicki

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:14 am

I second Tory. I'd never knitted anything before and had to teach myself completely from scratch. But I've managed to to make my DD a pair of longies; I used Youtube a lot for help with techniques. And the ladies here are able to help, too, even if they seem like silly questions. Definitely worth having a go. :wink:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:15 am

A blanket would be a perfect starter project, my first was a scarf, which after all is just a blanket but skinnier :hohoho: . If you wanted it to be super easy and super quick, you could just make a plain garter stitch (all knit, rather than knit & purl) blanket with chunky wool and large needles so that it'll take less time and less yarn.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:06 pm

of course you can do it youtube is fab for videos aswell and i would deffo use maybe 5mm needles and chunky wool so it knits up quick

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!