top sewing problems finished with pics

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

top sewing problems finished with pics

Postby Sally » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:45 pm

here is attempt no 2 at long sleeved top

I know what has gone wrong which is a help i think! the pattern says to cut 2 pieces out for each neckstrap bit but when i sew it on it's not long enough so i am unable to get my shoulders to match!
its driving me :x going to cut the bits longer next time I get chance to practice!
Last edited by Sally on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: top sewing problems

Postby Rae » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:08 pm

princessliana wrote:here is attempt no 2 at long sleeved top

I know what has gone wrong which is a help i think! the pattern says to cut 2 pieces out for each neckstrap bit but when i sew it on it's not long enough so i am unable to get my shoulders to match!
its driving me :x going to cut the bits longer next time I get chance to practice!

I'm having trouble seeing the problem with the white fabric. However with jersey fabrics, the piece that goes around the neckline is generally stretched compared to the piece of fabric it is sewn onto. Are you pinning it to fit and stretching it as you sew?

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm

was hoping you would reply Rae! Thank you x
i'm going to cut it a bit longer the neck rib piece as i run out before I get to the end of the fabric going around the neck so can't do the flip over bit properley as the shoulders will line up but there is a gap without any ribbing so I have over flipped meaning the shoulders don't line up but the gap is less noticable if that makes sense!
The fabric is a cotton jersey so quite stretchy,
I will try and take pics as I go along next time so u might be able to work out where i'm going wrong??? hoping i'm third time lucky? but won't get to practice now till mon as visitors all weekend!

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:33 am

cut rib to size on pattern, match up shoulders by folding fabrics and pin in place, fold fabrics in half again and pin, repeat easing in/stretching the rib to match. I would expect the unstretched rib to measure less than the unsewn neckline.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:03 pm

thank you kind ladies i think the penny may have dropped! :oops: just had a little play with folding etc, going to attempt top no 3 in a while when :crossbaby: lets me!

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:01 pm

just completed top :wine:
I was folding the shoulder bits the wrong way! :oops: :oops: :oops:
will post a piccie later am just giving it a wash before I dye it,(although with my luck will probably end up dying myself)

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: top sewing problems finished!

Postby Sally » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:44 am

all finished set of pj's really pleases with these some of stitching not perfect, but v happy with them!
the wrap is an upsy daisy which inspired the colours for the pj's,

My avatar
toryuk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: top sewing problems finished with pics

Postby toryuk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:56 am

Thats lovely!!! I bet your lo is very pleased!! :wine: :wine:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!