Postby ems » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:09 pm

how can I help?

My avatar
rachie77
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Ems' Sewing machine finds on ebay! p.1 updated: 10/08

Postby rachie77 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:24 pm

You must of read my mind! I'm thinking of machine! Want to try and make nappies but think an overlocker would be best. but will defo keep my eye out on this!
:wink:

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Just wish I knew what I need and where I'm going...

My machine (v old basic brother) was dumped outside a house and I brought it home. Took me another 4 years to try and learn to use it. Its driven me bonkers as it keeps having probs ans it probably needs a service.

Then my parents gave me their Brother PX330 (not singing OR dancing) on 2 year loan while they swan off to Carribean. Was a huge upgrade from where I was but it can't really do what I'm wanting to do.

My new overlocker (Huskylock 90) got very poorly second time I used it and is still in sewing machine hospital awaiting diagnosis :(

I had a go on my sisters Janome memorycraft yesterday and that was a whole other world....

I'm still only making nappies/stuff for the house but am going into making kids clothes too-hey, if my sister can do it I can do it! Ideally would love to be in the position to sell in the nest year or so too.

I want a machine that can get on with the job, has plenty of potential for creativity but is fairly easy to get your head around. I want to be able to make lots without the machine getting too stressed and I know I could make the most out of features such as enbroidery. I need - and am lacking - speed control, sewing through several layers/heavy fabrics, but don't know if its wishful thinking wanting all the extras when I haven't been sewing long!

Also, have some funds now which may not be available in the future. When I say funds I don't mean a lot. Following a visit to my sisters I found these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Janome-Memory-Cra ... 3cafba5de7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Janome-Memory-Cra ... 53e2c6e54a

Are they any good? Should I just stick with what I've got?

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I personally don't theres anything wrong with the px300.. its got a good range of stitches, ..you can change the needle position from left to right on straight stitch and on triple zig zag... pretty sure you can drop the feed dogs on that model to do darning or freehand stitching or they give you a darning plate... ..you can use twin needles on it.. they were about £260 when new.

If you give me a clue what your hoping to achieve on the px300 that your finding impossible right now, I might be able to help :)

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:06 pm

Hope its ok to ask in this thread, if not, could PM you.

The machine seems to only like to sew at a moderate speed, too slow or fast and you can smell the motor. I find this a real bind as in order to be neat I need to be able to go slow and careful.

I use a jeans needle when sewing booster pads and it just doesn't like it, can't cope. I have played with adjusting the upper tension but not brave enough to try playing with the bottom. Could that be giving it issues? I tried a good clean, oil and better thread to no avail. We have a lot of upper thread breaking. It also makes a horrible rattling that gets worse as you use it. I feel like I'm asking too much of it and that it needs a break!! Also (I believe a common problem with Brothers) the light gets way too hot and you can burn your hand using the thread cutter and the light starts smelling so when I'm not actually sewing I have to turn it off.

It just feels like hard work or is it that I need to learn how to use it better? As I said before using my sister's was great. It just worked, it just sewed!

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:46 pm

ehheehe I do understand.. it could be for a couple of reasons.. either you just don't yet fully understand the machine .. and its just not set up right.. .. your sisters machine is probably all set up.. clean and oiled... or it could be the machine is just a dud ;)

I think Sewing machines are like fountain pens. You choose them, because you like how they feel, how they respond. You maybe be better off buying one you just feel comfortable with. Mechanical machines are great though, but they do allow abuse, which sometimes is a good thing.. and sometimes just eats away at the gears and motor! If I were you.. obviously I'm not. but.. I would take the brother machine round to your sisters.. get her to give it a spin as from what you say, she does sew, so maybe able to determine waht is making it feel so erm.. wrong!

Other option, is to buy something that is yours, and you want to sew on. It needn't be huge amounts of money. There is a Bernina on the front page of this thread, same machine I have in my studio.. Is a great machine. Easy to setup, even has step by step guides on what needles, thread and material to use for what.. what stitch.. what length etc etc.. all in a touch screen computer on the front. The machine is an electronic machine, so it is capable of more stitches... and a host of other things.. that you will learn to use.

I think when you set out to buy a sewing machine, you should think of them as tools, that is what they are. You wouldn't buy a tool that may only last a season. You wouldn't buy a drill to build a house from a pound shop! You should buy the tool that will grow with you and allow you to grow in that skill set. You should buy the tool that is the best you can afford to put into your chosen skill at the time. You may never need all the stitches and all the fancies on it. But when you do, they will be there. :)
]

ps.. your fine to talk on the thread.. I could talk all day about sewing machines!!

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:55 pm

ps if you have skype.. I can give you a live video run down of what the bernina 180 is capable of :) I must get the webcam back up too!!!

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!