hf1

Fleece quality?

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Fleece quality?

Postby freckle » Fri May 14, 2010 7:18 pm

I've just had some fleece delivered from Ebay and it just didn't feel right and I thought I'd give it a ago anyway so cut the pattern out but trying to sew it is a joke and it just gets clogged in the machine and jams it. It's almost like it's a cross between fleece and felt.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Has anyone come across this fleece? Should I contact them and say how I'm finding it useless and sewing and it doesn't feel anything like all the previous fleece I've bought or are there different types of fleece and I should be looking for a certain type?

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Fleece quality?

Postby rachel » Fri May 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Hhmmm...I bought a cheap fleece blanket from the works a while back to use for sewing and it sounds like the same stuff?? Does it have no sticky-up fibres...IYKWIM??? :D

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:19 pm

Are you overlocking it or using an ordinary sewing machine?
what/where is it clogging.

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Fri May 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Yes, no sticky up fibres! I have no idea which is meant to be the outer side.

I'm using a normal sewing machine. It can't get past the first few stitches. I did also try sewing further down the fabric in case it was just the end that was getting stuck but it just seems to get sucked into the bobbin part and jamming.

:x

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Fri May 14, 2010 10:46 pm

I'd just try using a longer stitch length.

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby juboo752 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:10 am

I know exactly the type you mean, we bought some from our usual supplier, thinking it was the same stuff we usually buy because it was the same colour that we usually have, when it came it was a cross between coarse fleece and felt and certainly not as soft. And basically a load of rubbish.
We contacted the supplier and have since sent it back as not fit for our purposes, we thought it was a faulty batch but they said no its just this particular type of fleece :roll:
Looking at it again it says in the title "Acrylic" fleece, it should still sew though :wink:

Return to DIY and share your projects!