hf1

What's your favourite material for the inside of a nappy?

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

What's your favourite material for the inside of a nappy?

Postby Citrus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:52 am

Hi ladies -

I'm really keen on making some of my own fitteds now that I've got a little bit of a stash and have more of an idea of the shape and size of things. I was wondering which material you prefer to have on the inside of a nappy, next to your baby's skin? I get the bonus of fleece (stay dry) but I have to admit I hate fleece as a material - to work with, to look at, and to try to keep nice through lots of washing. I'm going to make fleece liners, but as I don't have to sew those, I don't mind so much. So what else is there that can line a nappy? I have Motherease and Onelife in my stash that just have terry on the inside. How does this work in practice? I've never sewn (or seen, or felt!) minkee, and I don't know how velour would work.

So much to learn :shock: This is the problem with not having any practical experience yet - hurry up November! :wink:

Many thanks,
Hannah x

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: What's your favourite material for the inside of a nappy?

Postby angelsquidge » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 am

Minkee is lovely and soft, fairly stay dry like fleece and doesn't stain so is great for nappy inners if you don't mind synthetic materials next to baby's skin.

I love bamboo for the guts- so many different types and weights so you can really get a great combination of absorbencies...,it's softer than hemp and much more absorbent than cotton.

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:03 am

I've just bought some minkee as I have a couple of Upsy Daisy nappies that have minkee insides which are fab! They don't stain and they keep their softness! Plus you don't have to worry about using a liner! Bought some from UD on ebay.

I've also got some bamboo velour on the way as my other favourite nappies from tweedlebee & tweedlebum have this.

I don't mind fleece for liners and clothes but think it looks aged quite quickly so not keen on it for nappies.

I haven't made any yet though - that's going to start when allt he fabric arrives :giggle:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 am

I love minkee inners :D
they are fab

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:06 am

Undyed bamboo velour. I prefer the way it looks and I find it a good material for my DD's wetting habits. I find it's easy enough to sew with.

After trying out a range of CSP, I decided that what was good enough next to my skin was good enough for DD. And I hate minkee next to my skin - much prefer a natural fabric.

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:14 am

I do much prefer natural fabrics myself, but minkee does sound like it's very popular and very soft. I suspect I'll end up ordering a bit of minkee and a bit of BV to try them both out - or that's my excuse, anyway :giggle:

Thanks for your help ladies!

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 am

*80% of my aleshas stash is handmade by me

heres a few of my latest ones
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=50405
they are all bamboo terry inner and core with knit print on the outside and to top the snap in soaker which again is bamboo terry (all the terry id dyed my me) the best pattern i found to start with its "ritas rump pocket pattern"(goggle it, its free) can be used as a fitted or a pocket as i only use the actual shape of the pattern

make sure you use a decent elastic

or if your a complete begginner and want something super easy to start with then go to this link
http://luckysprog.com/?page_id=38&category=20
she sells a fantastic kit containing everything you need to make either a fitted or a pocket inlcuding instructions,fabrics and elastic,very easy to follow!
here is my finished ones
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=51222

If you get stuck or have any other questions please feel free to ask

oh and i dont like minkee as i inner layer of nappy as i find it makes alesha sweat, fleece again good but i agree it does wear quickly xxx

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:58 am

I remember seeing these when you posted them - they're gorgeous!

Where do you get your elastic from? For my first ones (and because I'm very impatient!) I was thinking of using the best elastic I could find locally but making it so that it would be easy to replace. I saw some great nappies somewhere the other day with adjustable/replaceable button-through elastic, I'd love to get my mitts on some of that :wink:

I wish my local fabric shop sold terry by the metre - they only have chunky bath-towel-type stuff, but I was thinking of looking for some soft towels in town today and seeing what I could do with them...

Thanks again for your advice, and it's good to know that not everyone uses synthetics too. I don't know what my aversion to them is, but I own virtually no synthetics at all, so getting them for Sprog seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Decisions, decisions!

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:04 am

I use 4mm elastic from my local sewing shop sometimess 5mm, never had any problems which is what i have found works best atm, you can buy lastin its a clear elastic, i cant really explain the stuff but its what a lot of WAHMS use as its very very stretchy but also super super strong, personally i cant get on with the stuff, i think i have some around somehwhere if you would like to try it :wink:

my first nappies wear made from old tshirts or pillowcases (from charity shop) and towels (again from charity shop) :giggle: nothing wrong with them, they worked prefectly well, most are still being used now over a year later :wink: xxx

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!