First nappy attempt with recycled fabrics

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

First nappy attempt with recycled fabrics

Postby Citrus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi there -

I had my first go at sewing a fitted nappy today. It's nearly all made from recycled fabrics, except the orange terry, which is nappy terry from my local fabric shop. The inner terry I used didn't match the jersey pattern well enough so I had to buy some :giggle:

The main lesson I've learnt is that sewing stretchy things to non-stretchy things is a total pain, but I do love how the stripeys look. Maybe it's something I can learn to improve at.

Anyway, it's got two layers of terry in the nappy and the booster, with an outer of thin jersey on the nappy because I wanted it to look nicer. Whether it does or not, I'm not sure, mostly because of my not-so-brilliant topstitching, caused by the stretch vs non-stretch issue. Anyway, for about £1 of material and a bit of spare afternoon, it's not too bad.

I made the pattern by drawing around a Motherease one size, so it's pretty big. It's also a bit bulky, compared to nappies I've bought, but I guess I'll see when Sprog's here (and fits it) whether it's ok or not.

Oh! And it will have snaps one day, when I've made a few and feel I have the excuse to get snap-installing gear :wink:

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: First nappy attempt with recycled fabrics

Postby laceybat » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:57 pm

that very good specialy when you've made your own pattern :wine: i love the colour

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:10 pm

It looks really good Hannah- love the stripey fabric!

If you want, I can put some snaps on it for you :wink:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:20 pm

oooh I love it well done :wine:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:22 pm

That looks fab!! I love the bright colours and love the orange terry! Well done :wine:

My avatar
cherry219
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cherry219 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:28 pm

Hannah that's fab! I'm so proud of you ;) And a bit jealous of your skillz ;)

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks everyone:-)

angelsquidge - Thank you for the offer, but I reckon I'll save it towards my snaps justification, particularly because I've got a while before it will be in use to make a few more! Mind you, having 'a few' isn't really a thing that seems to happen around here :giggle:

Cherry - You really don't need to be jealous. I'm sure it's not up to much as a nappy really - too thick and a bit stiff - but it was good for testing the order of sewing and such, and for making a pattern. Sewing is the awesome though :)

My avatar
londonlotus
Clothie
Clothie

Postby londonlotus » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:18 am

It's fab! Well done :)

My avatar
michebe
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover