hf1

Felt Food

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Felt Food

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:51 am

Hey ladies, since i am going to get alesha a kitchen for her birthday i thought i would spend my oh so quiet evenings making her a whole stash of felt food! any ideas, suggestions, websites you have used when making yours, would love too see pics of your creations for inspirations please (yes that means you too stacey as i know you have made some :giggle: )
also where is the cheapest place to buy felt, im looking to get a big pack of every colour possible, and was thinking of using plain cotton but also embroidery thread (the stuff i remember my nan using for cross stitch :sew: ) as embroidery thread is thicker thought would be better for showing up details ie, when im doing a red strawberry i would use red cotton to sew the strawberry together but then black or very dark brown embrodery thread for the seeds, if that makes sense, does felt fray? or once cut will it be fine as it is?
oh and what about th stuffing? do you use wadding? x

hmmm my mind is racing with ideas :giggle:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Felt Food

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:57 am

Stuffing : toy stuffing from the loacl market stall/craft shop thingy.
Thread: I only used normal cotton doubled over, but embroidery would work. You would have to split the strands though.
felt: I have a mix of cheap acrylic stuff and some wool stuff off ebay.

I'll take some photos of Dawn's pathetic little pile later :oops: I keep getting distracted by knitting :giggle:

Some links? I have tons. Give me a mo, I'll find the best ones. :giggle: I just google "Felt food" on google images and get the photos for inspiration!

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:00 am

thats what im doing now google images, WOW there are some good ones out there? did you handstitch all yours? thats what i was thinking of doing? whats easy to work with and likely to last longer the acrylic stuff or wool felt? am going into town tomorrow so will pick up a few bits then, or maybe even this afternoon if i can be bothered lol x

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:02 am

I havent tried to machine sew yet and I don't see much difference in either felt tbh.

There's some here, the sewing ones are at the bottom.
http://www.squidoo.com/playfood

Still looking for the others :-? I really need to organise my bookmarks :oops:

ETA: Here's another one. These look FAB!!!!!
http://smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.c ... rials.html

If you go on etsy too, there's patterns to buy that are mind blowing. I'm tempted buy some of them.

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:24 am

That turkey and drumsticks in the last link look fab! And the cinnamon roll, yum!!

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby keljbj » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:30 am

I really must have a go at some of these! We are getting Acacia a kitchen for her birthday in October, so i have a few months to make some food to go with it. Dont think it'll look as good as those though :giggle:

I got some felt in poundland a while ago, about 20 sheets for a £. Used it for cardmaking and it seemed to be ok, so i think i'll pay another visit and see if i can get some more :D

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Oh just jumped on a bus to town! Was looking for somewhere to go this afternoon, and first stop will be poundland thanks Hun! Will look on etsy once I'm on the pc! Cheers ladies! X

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Well here is my first attempt!

Was suprised to find how hard it was too find felt in my town now that our big fabric shop has closed, so will be on the hunt on ebay i think to find some more!

Dont forget to post what you have made ladies!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:21 pm

I've used this site amongst others! http://feltorama.blogspot.com/

Some of the bits I've made:

ImageImageImageImageImage

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!