Sewing my own washable wipes

My avatar
kwebster
Clothie
Clothie

Sewing my own washable wipes

Postby kwebster » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:01 am

Hi all,

I am planning on making my own washable wipes by stiching together terry and fleece. I don't own an overlocker, but will a zig-zag stitch be sufficient to stop the terry fraying? I read one sugggestion somewhere to cut the fleece square slightly bigger all round than the terry square and you fold the fleece over the terry edge before sewing up, to prevent fraying - this sounds like a good idea to me! Any advice/opinions from the more experienced among you would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Katy

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Sewing my own washable wipes

Postby Shaunie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:21 pm

I think a zigzag stitch will work fine but if you slightly over-lap with the fleece it will probably be even better! Good luck :)

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:54 pm

I did my first lot with zig zag and was fine. I would definitely fold over the fleece if you can be bothered. Have fun :D

My avatar
Citrus
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Citrus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:24 am

Zig zag that goes over the edge would hold it fine, but you'll get a neater edge, as the other posters said, by folding over the fleece. Hope it goes well - post pics when you're done! xx

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:11 am

As the others have said, zig zagging the edges is fine, even if they fray a bit from use you can trim the threads or re-sew occasionally if you can be bothered! But usually there's no need. I don't know if I could be bothered folding the fleece over the edges but that sounds like a good idea! Cotton jersey fabric and velour fabrics fray much less than terry cloth, so if you have any old t-shirts you want to use, they are ideal too.

My avatar
mrspumpkin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mrspumpkin » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:11 pm

i think it should be fine. i couldn't be bothered so just cut up an old bamboo terry sqaure. i did edge them or anything. two years on they haven't frayed at all

Return to DIY and share your projects!