No votes

Total votes : 9
My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Velour Mama Hoodie WWYD

Postby ktinkley » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:47 pm

I bought a fab black velour goodie from Freyasmummy (>:D< thank you) - I was going to give it tom y pg friend - but I don't think it's going to be big enough for her, and it fits me really comfortably as a kind of loose coat for going up to school and stuff.

Only prob is I'm 6"1' and it's a tiny bit short in the body, and the arms are quite short - I could get away with it, but I really like it, so I think I'd like to lengthen the arms and body to give a better fit.

Just not sure whether if I try to do it myself I am going to ruin it :-? also really not sure what to use to lengthen it - I thought velour was stretchy - but this is more what I would consider to be like velvet.

So thought I would ask all you lovely ladies for your advice - I really love it already, so don't want to mess it up :giggle:

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Velour Mama Hoodie WWYD

Postby keljbj » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:47 pm

When i made Keane's bv hoodie i used contrasting knit fabric to make a hem section round the bottom and cuffs. I would imagine you could do the same with yours quite easily. I dont have an overlocker either :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:33 pm

I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to fix it myself so I'd probably go to a wahm...

My avatar
raffertygrey
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby raffertygrey » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:49 pm

Hiya :idea: :) My WAHM hoody has woven fabric cuffs and looks great. Everyone seems to think it's a layered top and I'm wearing the woven fabric top underneath, but that doesn't matter.

I would perhaps make it look more like a layered top and sew the under layer of knit or woven fabric along the existing seam line, inside but hanging down lower than the original seam, if that makes sense at all!?.

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:52 pm

:thread: :hohoho:

I always do this :hohoho:

but thank you for the two replies and the 17 or so votes :wink:

- it's a bit too heavy I think for jersey knit - jersey would kind of float around the bottom - looks like a wahm job it is - though I just spent £18 I don't have on some yummy colinette yarn, so will have to sell a few bits first :x

Oooh - cross posted with you Steph - that's a great idea - that would get over the problem of the jersey being a much lighter fabric. And I probably have something around that I could use. Will get looking tomorrow maybe - though I have spent all evening messing around on here when I should have been knitting, so may have to play knitting catch up tomorrow!

Return to DIY and share your projects!