hf1

Anyone got a Brother XR6600 sewing machine?

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Anyone got a Brother XR6600 sewing machine?

Postby Tara84 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:26 pm

I have the same machine and it's coped with pretty much everything I've thrown at it so far(it did throw up an error message at me the other day trying to go over the very thick mane of a stuffed unicorn but to be fair it did only just fit under the presser foot and it was probably a stupid idea to even attempt it but I was rushing :giggle: )
I've sewn 3 layers of midweight stretch denim with no issues, it's also coped with upholstery weight cottons really well. It's fantastic with knit fabrics and lighter weight stuff too.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Louisa :wave: I have a Emerald 122 which is their top non-electronic model. I love it :love: :love: it has done everything I've asked of it even very thick seams on bags (eg the one I made for Davina for a swap was a thick corduroy and there must have been 6 layers on some seams!!). Marijke ( @Mabo ) and Nichola ( @Soupdragon ) have also since bought it and from what they have said in the past they have been pretty happy with it so we'll see what they think after owning it for a while now!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:12 pm

Like Tory said, I have the Husky Emerald 122, too. It's a fab machine. :thumbsup: I've made all sorts on it and it's coped really well - oven gloves (8 layers thick, including two of denim), nappies (three layers of OBV), storage baskets (which needed the super-heavyweight stabilizer Timtex) ... I also made a bag, which needed a 1/4" thick piece of closed cell foam. I couldn't find any, so cut up a yoga mat. :oops: And it handled that, plus two layers of fabric and a layer of interfacing without any issues. It comes with heaps of feet, does buttonholes really easily, and self-threads. Oh, and it has a handy pull out chart at the bottom of the machine, which tells you what settings you should use for different fabrics and tasks. It was definitely a great buy and I would recommend it. :)

Previous

Return to DIY and share your projects!