hf1

Wool interlock questions

My avatar
mama2boyz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Wool interlock questions

Postby mama2boyz » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:46 pm

While wool isn't new to me wool interlock is.

I have 2 interlock nappy covers and they are very different in terms of thicknesses: one is from Hollow Oak and amazingly waterproof - it's also the thickness of a thin sweatshirt. The other is a different brand (can't remember and kids are asleep in the room so can't risk checking now!) and seems very thin by comparison - maybe like a very slightly thick t-shirt - I've never used it bc it's still too big for Elizabeth and also I suppose I doubt it will work.

I bought a metre of wool interlock from another CNTer - it came with a LLS sticker on it so I guess that's where it's from.

I'm in two minds what to make: nappy cover or vest.

My question: if I chose to make a vest, should I felt it first or will it be too thick? If I make it into a vest without felting first will it survive being worn or will it felt at the armpits with time?

My understanding is that for nappy covers I need to wash the farbic twice at 60C - is that right?

thanks in advance!

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Wool interlock questions

Postby beffys » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:24 am

Totally depends on the wool interlock you have. I work with about 5 different types. There 3% or 5% lycra blend that tend to felt so far then is fairly durable in a low temperature wash, you can kind of tell lycra blend by the way it stretches and the fabric's memory. There are 2-3 different types of 100% merino will felt heavily to varying degree and keep shrinking or shrink more based on agitation, then there's washable, is shinier and has more drape and shrinks about 20% then won't shrink or felt anymore.

Fulling depends on your own washing machine really as to how intense wool is felted. My newer machine fulls more heavily (so will wash more intensely), but has more options for a gentle wool wash and spin. I always full first at 60C and then use the dryer to prep any undyed interlock, then dye and full again between 40-60C depending on how heavily was fulled the first time (ie. 100% merino fulls much more easily so I would always handwash 100% once sewn up). Lycra blend takes a bit more abuse in a low temp wash, but will still distort and shrink over time. Might be worth putting a swatch in the machine and see what happens to it. Any fabric though, I'd always wash at a higher temperature than I'm likely to want to continue washing at, so generally the majority of shrinkage has taken place already. Any wool you're best to handwash, but sometimes you can put on a wool spin after handwashing and lanolising to get any excess liquid out. Again depends on your machine really and type of wool.

If it was washable I'd make a vest. I'm not so keen on lycra blend for a vest, though keeps it's shape pretty well, it's quite thick and restrictive with the elasticity. That's down to preference though. 100% if it's felted too much can loose it's softness and flexibility a bit. I wouldn't personally use blend on a vest, but other people prefer it for that type of garment. I would probably full in the same way regardless of garment, but more depending on interlock type.

The other thing you might get is soakers or longies made out of wool jersey or crepe sometimes too. They just tend to have more layers, same with washable. There's some jersey soakers on etsy atm for example.

My avatar
mama2boyz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mama2boyz » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 am

Thank yous os much for the detaile reply.

I put it in at 60 and to my horror discovered that I'd put a bib with velcro in there as well :doh: It was not a pretty sight when it came out...the fabric's threads got pulled by the velcro :x

still usuable though

I think it's too thick for a vest but hopefully should be good for longies/soakers etc

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:28 pm

I thought I'd revive this thread rather than starting a new one... I just ordered some wool interlock (5% lycra blend if I emember correctly) but I've never worked with it before. Are fulling and felting the same thing? Can it be fulled too much? Also, can it just go in the washing machine on a normal cycle or does it need a wool cycle/hand washing?

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Yep fulling and felting are the same.

Once felted and sewn you'll probably get away with a gentle machine wash on a lycra blend. Don't put it in the dryer though once sewn. :giggle: It kind of depends on your individual machine though as to whether it will handle a 30 or 40 wash.

To felt before sewing you need 2x 60C washes and dryer on low if you have a dryer. I tend to dye in between so I can wash out at second felting. It depends how you're dyeing. You can dye in the machine if you want a reasonable amount of solid colours so dye at same time as felting. Or in oven or in a pan. Just make sure containers you use aren't ones you also use to cook food if you are using acid dyes.

You end up with less fabric to work with the more you felt and wool interlock will lose stretchiness if overly felted, but be more bomb proof.

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:33 pm

beffys wrote:You can dye in the machine if you want a reasonable amount of solid colours so dye at same time as felting. Or in oven or in a pan.

In an oven?! I haven't heard of that, is that to be able to make some interesting colour combinations while still having the heat to make the dye work? I'm still trying to decide whether I want a solid colour or something more "interesting"... I'm tempted to just buy a lot more interlock and try everything!

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:43 pm

Yeah, it just needs to be well sealed up with tin foil and at about 100C for an hour, then left to cool. The vinegar solution makes all the dyes fix and exhaust fully, plus letting cool fully helps with that too. Main thing is the wool be pre-soaked i find for dye to go on evenly and be absorbed unless you're doing solid colours in machine and dye solution be well mixed in advance so you don't get speckles.

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Would sewing a "normal" cover/wrap (i.e. following a pattern designed to be used wit pul) work? I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't but somehow I can' convince myself it'll be ok...
Sorry to piggyback your thread again, mama2boyz! :oops:

Return to DIY and share your projects!