hf1

Felted camera case

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Felted camera case

Postby Shaunie » Thu May 19, 2011 2:25 pm

If you were making one, would you knit and felt or wet felt? Not that I have any idea where to start with either but would like to make one for my friend who's currently using a sock!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Felted camera case

Postby gayleygoo » Thu May 19, 2011 5:04 pm

I've never made one before either, if you were to knit one you'd have to knit up and felt a swatch to see how big you'd need to knit it, you could also cut and sew sheets of felt (homemade if you like). If you wanted to wet felt, you'll need to use something like a plastic box to felt around and then cut out a flap/opening or make one separatley.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu May 19, 2011 5:23 pm

I'd probably knit and felt one, using bulky wool and full it down well. I think the results would probably be more suited to the purpose tbh.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Thu May 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Sounds really great, would love to see pics of what you do :mrgreen:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 pm

oooh I just had a thought. I'm into recycled felted wool lately, wish I could sew. I'd find an old wool jumper (either from home or charity shop) and felt it down and then cut out pieces and sew together.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu May 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Yes Shadow, I do have jumpers that we no longer need. I guess they would still need to be 100% wool wouldn't they?

Zoey, I'll post pics if it doesn't turn out too hideous :lol: . Jonah felted a soap a few days ago so I'm thinking if he can do that at age 4, I *should* be able to manage a camera case :lookround:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Hmm, not 100%, but a good amount of wool would do.
Good luck if you try felting, give me a shout if you need a hand. Not quite the same as felting a soap though ;)

My avatar
clevercuttlefish
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby clevercuttlefish » Fri May 20, 2011 7:15 pm

ladybird wrote:oooh I just had a thought. I'm into recycled felted wool lately, wish I could sew. I'd find an old wool jumper (either from home or charity shop) and felt it down and then cut out pieces and sew together.

I'd do this because it's easy :giggle: I recently accidently felted a lovely knitted scarf by washing it at 30 degrees :(

I'd love to see pics when you've done it.

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Fri May 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Someone that I follow on FB = like a really amazing felter, just made a felted glasses case.

Hopefully here is a link to it http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

She used a felted wool sweater and then needle felted patterns on it - it looks amazing!

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!