hf1

What am I looking for?

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

What am I looking for?

Postby Hannahboo » Tue May 31, 2011 2:36 pm

This may be a really stupid question but I am pretty new to making things and wanted to make sure I am looking at the right thing before I order anything.

Basically I want to make some bandana bibs and t-shirts for Darcy. Have made a couple of bibs already out of some fleece I had and I have cut up a few old sleepsuits to make them so far, but what do I call the kind of fabric tshirts/sleepsuits etc are made out of? On the labels it just say cotton/polyester. Obviously I need something with a bit of stretch in it for tshirts!

Hopefully this question doesn't make me sound really stupid :giggle:

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: What am I looking for?

Postby kermitgirl » Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm

cotton jersey I think. If it is for bibs and other small things getting large men's tshirts from supermarkets (like when Sainsburys has 25% off all clothes) may work out cheaper than buying off a roll.

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Tue May 31, 2011 2:42 pm

Cotton jersey, cotton interlock, knit jersey, rib jersey...!! T-shirting fabric if you're looking at Fabricland.co.uk :roll:

If you're wanting a metre of the same colour to make a few then look on www.tissu.co.uk, they do cotton interlock etc on there for a good price :wink:

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Tue May 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks, at least now I know what I am looking for :giggle:

Hoping to get some nice patterned fabric, but from googling looks like I am going to have to buy from the US, unless anyone knows of anywhere else in UK that does it? Cost wise, I don't really mind as would rather have nice pattern/quality as thinking of making some to sell/give as presents as well x

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby kermitgirl » Tue May 31, 2011 3:34 pm

I have made some really nice bibs and nappies from upcycled babygrows.

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Tue May 31, 2011 3:43 pm

kermitgirl wrote:I have made some really nice bibs and nappies from upcycled babygrows.

:giggle: So far I have used old babygrows, an old top of mine and some fabric scraps I had FFP! Running out of fabric now though, although have tonnes of fleece left to back them! I am doing well out of my £4 fleece blanket from Tesco, so far it has made a pram liner, foot muff and 6 bibs!!!

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue May 31, 2011 3:46 pm

you can buy from the states tho you may be stung by customs charges. Lush tush sells some prints so you can get some from her

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Tue May 31, 2011 3:55 pm

red_dwarf wrote:you can buy from the states tho you may be stung by customs charges. Lush tush sells some prints so you can get some from her

Thanks, shall have a look at lush tush :)

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Hannahboo wrote:
red_dwarf wrote:you can buy from the states tho you may be stung by customs charges. Lush tush sells some prints so you can get some from her

Thanks, shall have a look at lush tush :)

recommend Lush Tush too for cute fabric! :)

Return to DIY and share your projects!