hf1

Making OBV wipes?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Making OBV wipes?

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:06 pm

I have an overlocker stitch on my machine...i think i might brave it :lookround:

And yes i did find half meter of pink stripy fleece that i bought to make megan something with! :wine:

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:29 pm

go for it. what's the worst that can happen :wink:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:39 pm

jennyclaire wrote:go for it. what's the worst that can happen :wink:

I could loose some fingers in the sewing machine?? :giggle:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:45 pm

I have a bv top that is badly made that I might cut up and makes some wipes with and just use cheap or old face cloths for the other side.
I'm like you Tory, DH bought me a machine for christmas and it is still in the box, I have no thread is my escuse! :oops:

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Go for it. It really is the perfect way to start off your relationship with your sewing machine. My first wipes i made were jersey one side and fleece the other and all i did was zigzag and then trim the edges, and they are still going strong-no fraying at all and that was nearly a year ago!!

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:58 pm

good luck with making them Tory.

In the meantime while you build up your stash, just wash the disp wipes :wink: we washed all of ds's disp wipes, and used these on dd... last week bought our first ever pack of wipes for her at age 15 months as i made the decision to throw the old ones away whilst on holiday rather than try to wash them. and once washed they work so much better than out of the packet.

there's only one brand we found didn't work, it was one of the super eco ones that biodegrade and they degraded in their first wash. the others have been washed literally hundreds of times over about 3 years use (2 packs worth).

all of them got washed with the nappies, however dirty the wipes were. we just stuck them in a mesh bag to stop them getting sucked into the filter.
Last edited by tiyuricc on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:06 pm

tiyuricc wrote:just wash the disp wipes :wink: we washed all of ds's disp wipes, and used these on clara... last week bought our first ever pack of wipes for her at age 15 months as i made the decision to throw the old ones away whilst on holiday rather than try to wash them. and once washed they work so much better than out of the packet.

there's only one brand we found didn't work, it was one of the super eco ones that biodegrade and they degraded in their first wash. the others have been washed literally hundreds of times over about 3 years use (2 packs worth).

all of them got washed with the nappies, however dirty the wipes were. we just stuck them in a mesh bag to stop them getting sucked into the filter.

that's what i've done a few times and keep washing them. Even the Asda smart price ones wash really well :)

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:08 pm

we just bought loads of the cheap white flannels from asda - £1 for 4 which have lasted us ages

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Why didn't it occur to me to re-use the disp wipes??? I wash them and then throw them out (because I'm too lazy to seperate wipes/nappies or have seperate bags for them!! Idiot :oops:

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!