hf1

How easy is it to make things by hand?

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

How easy is it to make things by hand?

Postby rachymoo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:20 am

Is it possible to make things by hand - i.e., without a sewing machine? I've seen some lovely fabrics that I'd love to have a go at making dresses, tshirts etc out of, but is it possible to do it by hand or is it not worth it? I'd love a sewing machine but can't afford one right now and tbh it would be better to see how I get on first before splashing out.

If it is possible, are there any patterns aimed at complete and utter novices like me (lol) who are sewing by hand? Any simple dress patterns etc?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: How easy is it to make things by hand?

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 am

i don't know how easy it would be to be honest.

you could pick up a cheap machine on ebay. for a basic machine that doesn't do much else than straight/zig zag, i'm sure it wouldn't cost much. i don't know if she still does it, but ems used to keep a list which is stickied of good sewing machine buys.

another option is to look on freecycle - i know a few people have picked up machines on there. i sadly wasn't so lucky so ended up going down the ebay route although my machine is far too fancy and i don't know how to use most of it. part of me wishes i'd gone cheaper and simpler.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 am

I was going to say freecycle too, put a 'wanted' post you will be surprised how many kind people will respond.

v :D

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 pm

doing it by hand is not impossible but would take you so much longer to do. As the others said, try getting a second hand machine. :)

My avatar
clevercuttlefish
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby clevercuttlefish » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:28 pm

My first machine was something from the 60's and only did straight stitch and zig zag - not even sure if it did reverse! It was fab, I wish I still had it as it would sew through even thick denim and leather with no problems.

I handsew now and again - mainly felt ornaments for xmas or felt purses etc. It does take me a long time. For larger items I'd definitely try freecycle for a sewing machine.

Thinking about it, I might still have my old machine at my in-laws house. I'll check next time I'm over there!

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:29 pm

I prefer hand sewing and have made nappies and a hoody for Euan in the past without a machine :wink: it can be done easily enough but obviously takes a lot longer than using a machine. Can't help with patterns though I'm afraid

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:36 pm

I spotted a £30 mini sewing machine at our local Tesco's yesterday... Don't know if that would help... And it would sort out your need for a new sewing machine. But, if you are not too bothered about newness, then I would try Freecycle first!
Good luck

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:28 pm

It can be done, I've made dresses and trousers for the kids by hand (the sewing machine is a PITA to get out of the cupboard and onto the table, threaded and adjusted, and then its very noisy so I can't do it in the evening :roll: ) It does take much longer, but you could usually make an item in an evening.

It depends on how much faffing you'd do with a machine - I do a lot of faffing, checking tension, adjusting tension, ripping out, detangling the thread, replace the broken needle, sew the wrong bit, rip out again, adjust tension again then the damn bobbin thread runs out and needs replaced and so it goes on...

The other thing is that they don't wash or wear quite as well, and they don't have such a professional look about them as a machine would do. Pressing the creases and seams will help though. Simplicity and Kwik Sew patterns are usually simple enough to hand sew.

DH's Granny has a photo of her three children when they were young, and she had hand-sewed or knitted every stitch they wore in it, so it certainly is possible!

Return to DIY and share your projects!