hf1

Sewing Jersey

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Sewing Jersey

Postby Tara84 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:00 am

I'd like to make some popperless vests for bump, so have some cotton jersey and was going to use this tutorial http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-90-minute-shirt.html
I have ball point needles, is there anything else I need to know or any tips, I've never sewn jersey before

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Sewing Jersey

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:12 am

use a walking foot if you have one.

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 am

red_dwarf wrote:use a walking foot if you have one.

Search rolling hem foot on ebay, they're a couple of quid :wink:

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:56 am

Hmm, don't have a walking foot, will have a look on ebay now. Can I manage without one for the time being, the jersey I have isn't too stretchy?

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:21 pm

You will but it may get caught/bunched up on one side as the rolling hem foot makes both pieces of fabric move along at the same speed, without one the bottom piece will slide through faster than the top piece, I learnt that the hard way :giggle:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:22 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 533wt_1037

I bought one of those, arrived in 2 days :wink:

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:36 pm

That looks very familiar I might actually have one already but didn't know what it was will get dp to get the my sewing stuff out once he's finished the hoovering

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

A walking foot is great for sewing stretchy fabrics, I got one off ebay and it's amazing how much easier it is! I also got ballpoint needles, haven't tried them yet so they may help too. The fabric can still move about, so use plenty of pins!

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Have been through all my sewing stuff and I haven't got a rolling foot :nonono: Have had a look on ebay at walking feet, bit confused which one I need as have a really old toyota machine that takes screw on feet, did find a couple that said were for a toyota and were screw on but they were £20-£30, I was hoping to replace my machine soon as the tension adjustment has gone a bit dodgy on it so don't really want to spend out too much on new feet if I'll have a new machine in the next year or so.
I think I might give it a try with the normal foot, if it won't work it'll have to be a rolling foot I think.

Return to DIY and share your projects!