hf1

Any tips on sewing stretchy fabrics?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Any tips on sewing stretchy fabrics?

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I have been making my own csp and have discovered that I dislike sewing bamboo jersey! It stretches when I sew so looks awful. Any tips or a I doing something wrong / machine set up wrong?

Ta :-?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Any tips on sewing stretchy fabrics?

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Do you have a walking foot? It makes a big difference as it feeds the fabrics through at the same rate so you dont get as big a problem with the fabrics stretching and moving. Also pin pin pin and pin some more :giggle:

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Yes it has a walking foot. I'm only using 2 pins, one at each end so think I shall pin, pin, pin and pin some more and try again. Tis a good job they are only for me :hohoho: :oops:

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:55 pm

Im a wahm, but my cps are a state :oops: It was the first thing I used my overlocker on and I HATE pinning. Now on most things, I can get away without pinning the majority of the time but I couldnt with the csp so they look a state :giggle: But as you say they are only for me so not a big deal, and are still really comfy

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm

you may need to get some ball point needles too if you havent already, makes a huge differance to sewing jersey etc x

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:09 pm

even with pins my stuff moves around too much, so i glue. childrens washable glue stick at regular intevals around the edges, keeps it all together and comes out first wash. i've also changed my foot pressure around, and by trial and error found the best setting to stop it moving around.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:34 pm

tiyuricc wrote:even with pins my stuff moves around too much, so i glue. childrens washable glue stick at regular intevals around the edges, keeps it all together and comes out first wash. i've also changed my foot pressure around, and by trial and error found the best setting to stop it moving around.

I did think about glue! I shall try with lots of pins and some kids glue tomorrow then :wink:

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:42 am

tiyuricc wrote:even with pins my stuff moves around too much, so i glue. childrens washable glue stick at regular intevals around the edges, keeps it all together and comes out first wash. i've also changed my foot pressure around, and by trial and error found the best setting to stop it moving around.

Glue is such a good idea, need to try that too. My stuff moves a lot even if I pinned lots! :D

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:51 am

jennyclaire wrote:

Glue is such a good idea, need to try that too. My stuff moves a lot even if I pinned lots! :D

I'm def going to try glue today so will let you know how I get on :giggle:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!