hf1

I doing something wrong / machine set up wrong?

My avatar
Sorang
Clothie
Clothie

I doing something wrong / machine set up wrong?

Postby Sorang » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:18 am

I have been making my own csp and have discovered that I dislike sewing bamboo jersey! It stretches when I sew so looks awful. Any tips or a I doing something wrong / machine set up wrong?

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: I doing something wrong / machine set up wrong?

Postby 123princesssammie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:31 am

What needles are you using? Ball point is best for stretchy fabrics, stops the tugging and pulling off the fabric as it goes through x

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby jennyclaire » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:18 am

i must get some ball point needles too as i'm not good with stretchy fabrics...

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:24 am

Sewing knit fabrics is a different art form than sewing wovens. There is stretch to deal with which makes it more difficult. I would definately use a ball point needle, and if you are using a straight stitch (in preference to a zig zag) then having a longer stitch length than you would use for wovens. There are different types of feet you can use to help, but I think the key to getting it right is just practice.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:46 am

can you adjust your foot pressure? i don't think all machines can. but that was my solution... changed to pressure to 2 (think thatt's less pressure but not sure. the recommended pressue is 3-5 on mine). once i changed that and started glueing the layers instead of pinning, i've never had any more problems.

Return to DIY and share your projects!