hf1

Sewing Machine

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Sewing Machine

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:40 pm

I have a Singer Samba sewing machine and I find it so hard work, every time I go to sew I seem to spend hours (and I do mean hours) trying to get it to stitch correctly and then 10 minutes sewing :roll:

I know my tension dial is not right and I that it has never been serviced before I had it. It was my MIL's and my FIL remembers her having the same problems with it.

I have just called a sewing machine shop to see about a service and they charge £45 for a half service and £55 for a full service. Is this reasonable? I think it seems really expensive and I really don't have £55 spare, but at the same time I cannot get things i need done. I saw a thread earlier today for a brand new machine for £95.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Sewing Machine

Postby Rae » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:29 pm

I think you need to research into what your machine is currently worth. I honestly don't think the samba does much more than a straight and a zig zag stitch.
I would look at 2nd hand machines and look for a good brand with all the stitch options you need, and honestly you may be better off going that way than spending a lot of money servicing a very basic machine.
I wouldn't recommend you buying a cheap machine new from Dunelm, argos etc. Some of these don't have the motors that you would need to get thru layers of fabric that you may want to sew in the future.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Sewing Machine

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:24 pm

Thanks Rae, thats what I thought really. Looks like I wont have a machine for a while :(

Return to DIY and share your projects!