hf1

Which binding for my quilt?. update now its finished

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Please help me choose. which binding for my quilt?

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm thinking the flowers - but not sure about the width of the binding - if 1/2 inch would that mean there was only 1/4 inch on each side of the quilt? If that is the case why dont' you buy a bias maker in the width you want and just make your own - much much cheaper - I've just bought one and can't wait to start making up lots of yummy bias :giggle:

The quilt is stunning, did you use a tutorial or a pattern or make it up? Is it quilted (as in squiggles or lines - I can't see from the photo (hint for more close ups :wink: :giggle: )? Fantastic job - well done :wine: What was the other quilt you did?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:34 pm

I'd go with no 2 - the flowery fabric is lovely but you'd lose the pattern totally in 1/2" I would think. Gorgeous quilt though, I'd love to make one but I just don't have the time at the moment - maybe one day!

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:46 pm

clothmama wrote:I'm thinking the flowers - but not sure about the width of the binding - if 1/2 inch would that mean there was only 1/4 inch on each side of the quilt? If that is the case why dont' you buy a bias maker in the width you want and just make your own - much much cheaper - I've just bought one and can't wait to start making up lots of yummy bias :giggle:

The quilt is stunning, did you use a tutorial or a pattern or make it up? Is it quilted (as in squiggles or lines - I can't see from the photo (hint for more close ups :wink: :giggle: )? Fantastic job - well done :wine: What was the other quilt you did?

Sorry for being so slow to reply. I have succumbed to a summer flu and its knocked me for six. This quilt has been torturing me quietly at the side of the room - I am desperate to finish it now and yet :puke: :freezing: no energy from the illness. My throat is so sore I literally dread swallowing.

Anyways, enough of my woe :lookround: There will only be 1/4 inch showing on the binding but I am going to try the flowers one because I know if I dont then I will regret it. I found a quilt on Moda Bakeshop with the same binding pattern just a different colourway and it looked pretty good.

Its a mix of hundreds of quilting tutes that I have watched on the internet recently. It started as a smallish lap quilt made with a disappearing 9 patch from here http://www.psiquilt.com/2009/03/disappe ... super.html

and then it was too long and thin so I added some matching fabric blocks from the Missouri Star Quilt company tutorials. I used their tutes for the borders and the quilt sandwich how to.

It is stippled (squiggles) all over using my freehand embroidery foot and lots of arm power :giggle: I am massively proud of it and IRL it looks amazing. You can see it a bit on the plainer squares on the pic.

I will post a pic of my "other" quilt below in a mo :thumbsup:

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:50 pm

This was my practice run whilst I waited for my supplies. I bought the VHC panel ages ago thinking it was much smaller and I would use them as appliques, but when it came they were huge :giggle: so it just sat in my fabric stash making me feel guilty.

I did some straight line quilting on this and also stippled around the pics to make them stand out, and machined butterflies and leaves on the dotty fabric and more stippling on the blue stars border.

I am so addicted to quilting atm. It looks more impressive and difficult than it is :giggle:

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Wow, love that! I am yet to try stippling, the randomness of it freaks me out a little :giggle: :oops:

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Which binding for my quilt?. update now its finished

Postby sweetiepups » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks for helping me choose

At last its finished

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman