hf1

Fabric suggestion for summer snood for cycling type thing?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Fabric suggestion for summer snood for cycling type thing?

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:32 pm

My sister has asked if I can make her a summer version of her winter cycling snoodythingy with a drawstring...

Basically it needs to be lightweight, ideally slightly stretchy but doesn't have to be, and breathable although she'd like it to filter some of the fumes out but it's mainly to keep flies out of her mouth without her overheating using the winter one ;)

She's given me the dimensions - it's about 40cm long, and when laid flat it's about 26cm wide (so fabric needs to be at least 40cm x 52cm plus sewing allowances)

What can you suggest ladies?

I'm going to run up a tester one using muslins I think :lol: and see how that goes but it would be nice to do a proper one...

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Fabric suggestion for summer snood for cycling type thing?

Postby Mareth » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:43 pm

I made DH and Rhys some from a VERY lightweight ribbed cotton jersey I have, but TBH even then they're for winter use only. DH wears his to stop windburn in winter only, he's sweat to death in summer with it. He has a shop bought lycra one too, but that's winter only.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 pm

I'd suggest some normal woven cotton and make sort of a doctor's/Michael Jackson type mask for summer. You really wouldn't want to wear any type of snood in this weather.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:59 pm

Hmmmm ok - well fair point and I'll put it to her... it's mainly to cover her mouth so we'll see how the tester in muslin goes I guess :)

Return to DIY and share your projects!