Sewing knit fabrics without an overlocker

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Sewing knit fabrics without an overlocker

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:44 am

I've just been looking at some info about this and found a pattern that I think is gorgeous and I'd love to try it (one day when I have time :panic: :giggle: )
http://blog.fabric.com/2011/06/hot_patterns_all_wrapped_up_ta.html

I was looking at some techniques that can be used if you dont' have an overlocker but want to sew stretchy and found a good tute:

Faux cover-stitch (using a sewing machine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9-NHXbF0Fo&NR=1
Can't see this video on your phone? Tap here to watch Q9-NHXbF0Fo in your Youtube player

Just need to get some stretchy material now and I think I'm brave enough to have a go!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Sewing knit fabrics without an overlocker

Postby Rae » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:05 am

The pattern looks lovely, and with being wrapped it should hide a few sewing mistakes if you were to make any.
Have fun when you get the chance.
I would look for some interlock (in preference to jersey) to start as it is a bitmore forgiving, but watch out if you go into Spotlight because there were a lot of fabrics mislabeled in there last time I went in. The jersey was labeled as interlock (and priced accordingly).

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:28 am

Rae wrote:The pattern looks lovely, and with being wrapped it should hide a few sewing mistakes if you were to make any.
Have fun when you get the chance.
I would look for some interlock (in preference to jersey) to start as it is a bitmore forgiving, but watch out if you go into Spotlight because there were a lot of fabrics mislabeled in there last time I went in. The jersey was labeled as interlock (and priced accordingly).

:drama: I only WISH I could go into Spotlight - my nearest is in Bundaberg which is 1.5 hours away :giggle:

Thanks for the advice Rae, I dont' actually understand the difference between the two - can I tell by looking / touching?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:43 am

I saw a good blog the other day about how to tell the difference. Will see if I can remember where it was and I'll link it.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 am

Found it, it's on the fishsticks blog, there are 4 or 5 pages all about working with knits.

http://fishsticksandfries.com/blog/?p=1231

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:50 am

I use cotton knits only these days as I found the viscose ones way too bad to sew ;)
Tory my Husky does a great job with knitteds so I don't think you'll get in trouble with yours either.
Pattern looks fab, I spotted something like that dressstyle somewhere but clicked away fast before I would buy more patterns :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks Mareth, that is excellent, just having a read now!

MissFrodo wrote:Tory my Husky does a great job with knitteds so I don't think you'll get in trouble with yours either.

That's good to know! I have a walking foot as well so presume that will help. I've done a few bits with stretch but not been thrilled with the results however that was making it up as I went along :oops: :giggle:
MissFrodo wrote:Pattern looks fab, I spotted something like that dressstyle somewhere but clicked away fast before I would buy more patterns :giggle:

And this one is free so you can have it!! You'll have to try it for us and let us know how it goes!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:15 am

clothmama wrote:Thanks Mareth, that is excellent, just having a read now!

MissFrodo wrote:Tory my Husky does a great job with knitteds so I don't think you'll get in trouble with yours either.

That's good to know! I have a walking foot as well so presume that will help. I've done a few bits with stretch but not been thrilled with the results however that was making it up as I went along :oops: :giggle:
MissFrodo wrote:Pattern looks fab, I spotted something like that dressstyle somewhere but clicked away fast before I would buy more patterns :giggle:

And this one is free so you can have it!! You'll have to try it for us and let us know how it goes!

Nononono you spotted it so you need to make it first ;)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 am

MissFrodo wrote:Nononono you spotted it so you need to make it first ;)

Yes but I'm sure you have some material in that stash of yours where as I'd need to go shopping so you better go first :hohoho: :whip:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!