My new apron obsession! Apron 2 page 3!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: My new apron obsession!

Postby Caroline » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:52 pm

clevercuttlefish wrote:
Caroline wrote:I really like them too. Do they kids sizes in the patterns as well? India would love one.

they have this on http://hyenacart.com/WiseSewingSupplies/mt/167/37111/Little-Retro-Aprons-for-Kids but it's not in stock because I've just bought it :oops: :giggle:

:hohoho: :hohoho: I'm of the non sewing variety myself. I can manage a button but that's as far as my talents stretch. Its a full on hunt for the needle and cotton in this house (normally next to the iron :wink: )

My avatar
clevercuttlefish
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby clevercuttlefish » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm not so good with repairs, they're just not as much fun as pretty sewing :giggle: (I have a rather large pile of sewing repairs to do :oops: ). I actually thought about doing some ironing this morning, thankfully the feeling passed :D

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mangajude » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:31 pm

wow, they are lovely, my actual clothes aren't that nice ! :giggle:

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Last edited by mangajude on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:23 pm

Dumb question I think but when do you wear an apron? I like the look but what I'm I suppose to do wearing it?

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mangajude » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:28 pm

MissFrodo wrote:Dumb question I think but when do you wear an apron? I like the look but what I'm I suppose to do wearing it?

I would just wear it out if I had one that nice! I certainly wouldn't ruin it by doing things like cooking or cleaning in it!

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:28 pm

MissFrodo wrote:Dumb question I think but when do you wear an apron? I like the look but what I'm I suppose to do wearing it?

cooking!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Mmmmm but that means I need a matching dress to go with it :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:58 pm

They are lovely! Think you need at least two.... just incase one is dirty. :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:21 pm

evansmummy wrote:There Fab!!!!! Up for customs Tory :wink:

Asta wrote:I would like some for Christmas presents once you fancy doing customs ;)

With my final semester coming up over the next 3 months and all going to plan a move back to Europe as well before Christmas - I dont' think I'll have time :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

I really think it is something I'll consider doing once we are in France though as I'll (hopefully) have a bit more time and need to make a living somehow :giggle: , I love creating, it is a new discovery and things like these aprons just make me smile!! My head is churning with the possibilities! :D

I think it is one of those things that you kid of get in the habit of putting on. I have been using aprons for a couple of years now sometimes when cooking and I have 2 atm. 1 is boring stripes (may need to redo it :lol: ) adn the other was a short apron that I got from Aldi and tried to turn into a full apron with a v neck not very successfully! I've recently got a few new clothes so I've got even more in the habit of popping them on when cooking and when you see how dirty they get it makes you realise how good they are for your clothes :D It means you can wipe your hands on it when you are cooking. I plan to make myself a heavy duty gardening apron and possibly a long gathering apron when I have a veggie patch adn maybe a housework one with lots of pockets but for the moment they look pretty and protect my clothes from my crazy messy cooking :wink:

I bought a print out of this poem when I was at the historical village last week with the kids and I thought it was lovely so just found it online:

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but
along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and
sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought nto the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool
Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

scarlet wrote:They are lovely! Think you need at least two.... just incase one is dirty. :wink: :giggle:

Two :shock: no way I want a whole set of them :hohoho:

clevercuttlefish wrote:I actually thought about doing some ironing this morning, thankfully the feeling passed :D

:barflol: OMG that happens to me all the time as well :hohoho: :hohoho: I only iron for sewing related reasons :lookround: :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!