hf1

Safe dyes to use on baby items

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Safe dyes to use on baby items

Postby Hannahboo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:10 pm

I tie dyed some muslins recently as all the white ones we had when Darcy was born were very grey and tatty looking, anyway was telling my Mum and she said I had to be careful that Darcy didn't put them in her mouth as it may be poisonous, is this right? I used Dylon cold water dyes. I have some more muslins here I wanted to dye and was planning on getting some procion dyes to do some t-shirts/jumpers for winter and she does have a habit of sucking on her clothes at times?

Is this just my Mum being cautious or is she right? If so, what is the best dye to use?

Thanks in advance :hug:

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Safe dyes to use on baby items

Postby katyav » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:33 am

I was wondering exactly the same! I *think* I read that procion dyes are ok because they bind to the fibres rather than just staining them, but I have no idea where I read this and whether that's true.... :roll: I was looking at natural dyes (made from plant extracts) but I couldn't see whether they were actually unharmful... I mean, they might be more natural, but if they're less "permanent" than the synthetic ones and likely to come off more easily then that's no good either!
I hope someone comes along with the solution...

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:52 am

These links explain more:
http://www.pburch.net/drupal/?q=node/777
http://www.pburch.net/drupal/?q=node/642

Procion dyes chemically bind with fabric in the presence of high alkali fixer, it's more making sure any excess dye is washed off afterwards. I wouldn't use natural dyes personally, but then I haven't before so wouldn't know which are safest.

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Hannahboo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:16 am

beffys wrote:These links explain more:
http://www.pburch.net/drupal/?q=node/777
http://www.pburch.net/drupal/?q=node/642

Procion dyes chemically bind with fabric in the presence of high alkali fixer, it's more making sure any excess dye is washed off afterwards. I wouldn't use natural dyes personally, but then I haven't before so wouldn't know which are safest.

Thank you so much for the links, shall have a read through them later when I get 5 minutes :wink:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:14 am

I have natural dyes in my craft box, i've not used them much as i've lost the instructions I had and they are a bit more complicated than dylon/procion dyes. They may be natural, but harsher chemicals are used to "fix" them and it takes quite a while, and IIRC, lots of microwaving! Still safe of course. Natural dyes can be made from plants etc, like onion skins, cabbage leaves etc, but you'll still need the chemical fixers. Natural dyes do fade a bit over time, but I've got procion dyed nappies that have faded heavily too. Kool-aid and food colouring can be used for animal fibres like wool and silk.

Just make sure no dye runs when you're done. You can buy Synthropol to help with the rinsing.

My avatar
Popster
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Popster » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:52 am

gayleygoo wrote:I have natural dyes in my craft box, i've not used them much as i've lost the instructions I had and they are a bit more complicated than dylon/procion dyes. They may be natural, but harsher chemicals are used to "fix" them and it takes quite a while, and IIRC, lots of microwaving! Still safe of course. Natural dyes can be made from plants etc, like onion skins, cabbage leaves etc, but you'll still need the chemical fixers. Natural dyes do fade a bit over time, but I've got procion dyed nappies that have faded heavily too. Kool-aid and food colouring can be used for animal fibres like wool and silk.

Just make sure no dye runs when you're done. You can buy Synthropol to help with the rinsing.

wss on the synthropol for rinsing. You only need a very small amount and it gets all of the excess dye out of the fabric.

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:20 am

where can I get synthropol from? Can that be used with any kind of dye/fabrics?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 am

I was given a ton of johnsons products :puke: :puke: So I use those to rince the dye out in the sink before I pop them in the wash. Works really well

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 am

Oooh good idea! I have quite a few of those too, my sister showered me with johnson's lotions and potions when she came to visit despite the numerous "we're not using anything cause Aida has eczema, and when we will use stuff it'll be only natural things for the same reason"... for her as long as it says 'sensitive' on the bottle it doesn't matter what ingredients/chemicals there might be in it! :doh:
I had completely forgotten about those but at least now I can use them rather than just burying them in a drawer, as much as I don't like them I don't want to pour them down the drain either. Funny how "gentle" baby products work well to wash out dye!! :hohoho:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!