hf1

Notebook cover tutorial

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Notebook cover tutorial

Postby keljbj » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:05 pm

As promised :wink: I've not written a tutorial before and i didn't take photos as i went, so if theres anything you don't understand then please feel free to ask me :oops:

First measure your closed notebook around the middle, lengthways and widthways. Add 1/2 inch seam allowance to the final measurements (1/2" top, 1/2" bottom, 1/2" to both sides).

Cut a rectangle from your fabric to these measurements.

Cut another to the same measurements. Fold in half, measure in 1/2" from the fold and cut upwards. You will be left with 2 pieces 1/2" narrower than your original rectangle. These are you lining pieces.

Now another piece the same size as one of your lining pieces, and then fold in half lengthways and cut. These are your pocket pieces.

Lastly, cut a piese of batting the same size as your original rectangle.

Take your pocket pieces and turn over the top edge of each. Press and top stitch.

Then take one of you lining pieces and place one of the pocket pieces on the bottom half, with the topstitched edge up. Both pieces should be right side up. Fold over one long side, press and top stitch. Repeat with the other lining piece, but press and top stitch the opposite side.

Next take your original rectangle and place it right side up on top of your batting. Place your lining pieces on top, right sides together. The top stitched long edge should face inwards, and the raw edges should be aligned. There should be a gap in the middle where the lining pieces don't reach.

Now sew around the outside edges of the lining pieces, joining them to the original rectangle (yo have left a 1/2" seam allowance, so there is plenty of give). Leave the gaps at the top and bottom where there is no lining piece, you will neaten that up later.

Now trim your seam allowances and cut off your corners, and turn it in the right way.

Nearly done :wink: Turn over your raw edges (where the spine of your notebook will be) 1/4" and topstitch.

You should now be able to slip your cover onto your notebook :D

Now just sew a button on the front, and a loop of ribbon onto the back in the same place and you're finished :yahoo:

This is how i did it. You may want to cut another rectangle and sandwich the batting between the two, so your notebook doesn't catch on it when you put the cover on, but tbh once it is on you can't see the batting and its not a problem. Doing it this way you can cover an A5 notebook with a fat quarter of fabric, if you cut another rectange you couldn't do that :wink:

My avatar
Hannahboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Notebook cover tutorial

Postby Hannahboo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks :wine: Going to have a go at doing some for xmas presents - yes I know I am starting early but hoping to make everyones presents this year so going to take a while :wine:

Return to DIY and share your projects!