hf1

Best fabric to make prefold out of?

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Best fabric to make prefold out of?

Postby mangajude » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:07 pm

I want to make some prefolds for my DD as she is growing out of her first size ones now. So what should I

a) make the out side out of
b) put in as an absorbent layer

the more choices I look at the more confused I get. I want to make them slim line. So I was thinking bamboo style fabric! Maybe bamboo terry or bamboo valour on the out side, with bamboo fleece or maybe zorb as the absorbent inner. Would this work/what else will i need in the absorbent layer?

Thanks

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Best fabric to make prefold out of?

Postby katyav » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm

Interesting post, which makes me wonder why have I never thought of making some, after having made pockets, AIOs and fitteds? I shall add these to the list of things to (try to) make - once somebody gives us an answer :wink:

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mangajude » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:18 pm

:D

katyav wrote:Interesting post, which makes me wonder why have I never thought of making some, after having made pockets, AIOs and fitteds? I shall add these to the list of things to (try to) make - once somebody gives us an answer :wink:

Oh sound like you've been a busy lady, out of intrest what did you make you pockets out of, that will be my next project but prefolds for now as DH is a huge fan of them and anything that keeps him inserted in cloth is good with me :giggle:

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Your DH likes prefolds? Mine is not sure what to do with them (a bandana hat? tiny bathroom rug?), he tried to put one om DD without asking me to show him how, you know pride and all that, then passed her to me for a feed... there was poo everywhere but the nappy :puke: :hohoho:
I think I made the pocket with minky outer and suedecloth inner, with very thirsty inserts since I wanted something that would dry fast. I was never a fan of sewing PUL and a month ago I switched to fitteds + wool so haven't made any since! Fitteds are much more fun to make... proof:

I'm shamelessy proud of them, especially the bees one! :widesmile:

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:20 pm

I used old cotton tea towels for the inners of mine and bv for the putters. I think I added one zorb in a couple too. They work well and were just a first attempt :)

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mangajude » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:19 pm

katyav wrote:Your DH likes prefolds? Mine is not sure what to do with them (a bandana hat? tiny bathroom rug?), he tried to put one om DD without asking me to show him how, you know pride and all that, then passed her to me for a feed... there was poo everywhere but the nappy :puke: :hohoho:
I think I made the pocket with minky outer and suedecloth inner, with very thirsty inserts since I wanted something that would dry fast. I was never a fan of sewing PUL and a month ago I switched to fitteds + wool so haven't made any since! Fitteds are much more fun to make... proof:

I'm shamelessy proud of them, especially the bees one! :widesmile:

:hohoho: poor you, all covered in poo!

Those are amazing, I don't blame you for being proud!!! I may have to ask some tips from you at a later date!

HighlandMum wrote:I used old cotton tea towels for the inners of mine and bv for the putters. I think I added one zorb in a couple too. They work well and were just a first attempt :)

Thank you! That makes sense, I thought it shouldn't be too complicated but I get in a tizz if i think about thing too much and they become more complex than they need to be! :-?

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:25 pm

They are easy peasy, if you have a search online there are plenty of tutorials about, I read through a few and then made my own up from there :)

My avatar
mangajude
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mangajude » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Lovely, thank you! :D

Return to DIY and share your projects!