hf1

Making breast pads - advice please!

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Making breast pads - advice please!

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:35 am

I've got some bamboo wool I thought I'd use to knit up some breast pads. The patern I've got is two knitted layers crocheted together which I thought would be fab as I can just add extra layers if they're not absorbant enough.

I was thinking of putting some fleece on the back of them as a water resistant layer but if I fix this together by crocheting it all together with the bamboo wool would they just wick via the crochet stitches? Can you suggest a better way I could do that?

Thanks!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Making breast pads - advice please!

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Cool, I'd never have thought of knitted breastpads!

Two knitted layers would probably be fine, three might make them very thick but as you say you can add more if you need the absorbancy. How would you crochet the fleece to the wool though? Sewing would do, even by hand, using polyester thread or thin wool. Or how about one layer knitted bamboo for absorbency, one layer of knitted wool for waterproofing?

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Wouldn't the wool need lanolising though? I did think about that and lanolising with a spray but they'd be washed with every use so not sure how well it'd last.

Sewing would work, not sure how neat I could make the edges though.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Asta wrote:Wouldn't the wool need lanolising though? I did think about that and lanolising with a spray but they'd be washed with every use so not sure how well it'd last.

Sewing would work, not sure how neat I could make the edges though.

wouldn't worry about edges as nobody will see them when they're stuffed in your bra! :giggle:

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:07 pm

true :giggle:

Return to DIY and share your projects!