hf1

New sewing machine any suggestions of good beginner patterns

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: New sewing machine any suggestions of good beginner patterns

Postby keljbj » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Yeah, i would have to agree about going for woven fabrics first. Much less likely to get frustrated that way :giggle: I generally google free sewing tutorials and see what i come up with, there are some great blogs out there with free tutes and they are good for beginners.

My avatar
lmap44
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lmap44 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. I'm really confused about all the different kind of fabrics.

Same here, I too am a newbie sewer. So this thread is brilliant. What is the difference in wovens/knits? :oops:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:38 pm

red_dwarf wrote:Once you do start sewing knits I would really really recomend getting a walking foot. it makes life sooo much easier

What's the difference?

I've got a selection of foots that came with the machine. I'm gradually working my way through them to learn how to use them! Used the zipper one & button hole one so far - maybe there is a walking foot in there?? Must go look ...

My avatar
keljbj
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby keljbj » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Woven fabrics generally have no stretch to them, knits stretch (very simply, there is more to it than that :giggle: ).

A walking foot will help the fabric feed through the machine evenly, making it easier to sew stretchy fabrics (i.e knits) without them stretching out of shape. It also mades it easier to sew two layers of fabric together where one or both is slippery (i.e satin).

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 pm

knits are stretchy while woven fabrics aren't, going to attempt a dress for Aimie in pink apples and pears fabric :D

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:03 pm

I think of knits as t-shirt material, where as woven is like a man's shirt. It makes more sense when you start using them. I would agree about the walking foot, I got so frustrated trying to sew stretch fabrics before but it was easy once I got one of those (it cost nearly £40 though :shock:)

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:46 pm

I just bought some feet for my machine with my birthday money.
Next thing on the list is the walking foot, though my machine can handle knits with my normal feet very well.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:45 pm

I never take the walking foot off of my machine anymore :oops: It seems to sew wovens fine with it on and is fab for knits so I cant be botheres changing it all the time :giggle:

My avatar
lmap44
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lmap44 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Fab advice ladies, My first project is a V shaped cushion cover in the sheep fabric resembling Timmy that Danika (miss purple) found for me! And from your definitions of fabrics it is a woven :D

Previous

Return to DIY and share your projects!