hf1

Sewing machine or overlocker?

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Sewing machine or overlocker?

Postby ImisMummy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:00 pm

DH has told me my xmas present is a new sewing machine so now i have to go about finding one!

At the moment i have an argos cheapy which has broken 20 needles in a year, 4 tonight alone!

Should I go for another sewing machine or an overocker.

I mainly make clothes, nappies and nappy accesories.

Also, which brands of each are best are where should I look? :hug:

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Sewing machine or overlocker?

Postby Rae » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:19 am

A decent sewing machine!!
See if you can look in a local sewing machine centre, and take a few samples of fabric in that you would sew with in order to test the machines out.

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 am

Yep, I'd choose the sewing machine too. I have both but I would sacrifice the overlocker any day if I needed a new sewing machine (or, you know, moan enough with DH to keep on having both :hohoho: ). They're both Janome and I get along with them really well, the sewing machine is over 3 years old and is still great, but definitely try to find a place where they can let you try some of them, very useful to get to know all the functions too.

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:29 am

A good sewingmachine!

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:45 am

ditto to the above... a decent sewing machine ;)

My avatar
pamela722
Clothie
Clothie

Postby pamela722 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 am

You really need a good sewing machine. Stay away from the cheapie ones, you get cheap parts....look for machines that still use metal parts.

If you dont mind used, you can get some fantastic workhorses on ebay, then go to patternreview.com and search their machine reviews.

I have a Pfaff Tipmatic from 15 years ago, basic utility stitches, nothing fancy, but that is my workhorse. Can always rely on it. Bought this new but see them secondhand quite cheap.

I also have an Elna Xquisit embroidery machine that is also a sewing machine (some embroidery machines are only for embroidery work) it has loads of fancy stitches abd amazing programs...I havent even used the embroidery part. I got that on ebay for £400!

My last machine is a Pfaff coverpro 4862 which is a seger/cover stitch machine. Again, workhorse of an overlocker. Got that second hand for £150

Bernina makes some tough machines that are really good secondhand.

What I'm getting at is if you really want both machines, go used and read reviews. I have no regrets on any of my machines.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:05 am

See I LOVE my Overlocker and hardly use my sewing machine at all so I would have said get a good overlocker :oops:

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:13 am

In this order,
Sewing machine
Overlocker
Coverstitch

I'll update the sewing machine thread tonight hun. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=38823&hilit=ems+sewing

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:33 am

I have a sewing machine, but have been thinking that an overlocker would be better for making nappies, CSP, wipes, and kids clothes, which is mainly what I make. Most decent sewing machines have overlocking stitches anyway so is probably more multi-functional, you can often do buttonholes, put in zips, piping, use a twin needle, some have fancy stitches and other functions too. Mine is a 10yr old Brother XL-5011 and it's done me well, I saw one recently for £60 second hand!

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!