hf1

Pattern storage

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Pattern storage

Postby choccylisa » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:45 am

So how do you store your patterns? I did think of getting a folder but some of them are quite big and they're currently cluttering up my desk so need to go away somewhere before they get ripped.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Pattern storage

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:49 am

All mine, including crochet, sewing, other crafty stuff are in a lever arch file with plastic wallets & dividers in to separate the sections.
Makes it easier to flick through them to find what Im looking for.
How big are your larger ones?
- you could try a concertina folder or a box file?

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 am

I keep some of mine stored flat if they are smaller and the larger ones i.e. clothing, I hang up using small wire hangers I've made from bendy wire. I just put a hole punch through the pattern and a hole punch sticker on and hang them up :)
All my paper patterns get put onto pattern card or template plastic depending on the pattern anyway so there is no fear of them being ripped. Pattern notchers go through card much better than paper ;)

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:17 am

docmaggoo wrote:All mine, including crochet, sewing, other crafty stuff are in a lever arch file with plastic wallets & dividers in to separate the sections.
Makes it easier to flick through them to find what Im looking for.
How big are your larger ones?
- you could try a concertina folder or a box file?

Arhhh just re-read and understand now you are talking about your sewing pattern pieces!
:doh: I thought you meant A4 sized instructions for patterns or knitting/crochet patterns.

My patterns so far are tiny because of 0-3month size - but interested to see how other people store them as they get bigger.

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 am

ems wrote:I keep some of mine stored flat if they are smaller and the larger ones i.e. clothing, I hang up using small wire hangers I've made from bendy wire. I just put a hole punch through the pattern and a hole punch sticker on and hang them up :)
All my paper patterns get put onto pattern card or template plastic depending on the pattern anyway so there is no fear of them being ripped. Pattern notchers go through card much better than paper ;)

this is who i will do mine when phil get's round to doing my wire bits for them as it's how my mum did it

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:51 am

Never thought of that way ems, I might start doing that. ATM I pop them in wallets in a leaver arch file. I have to fold some of the biger pieces but it means that you can organise them really well and 1 file fits a lot of patterns

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 am

At college all our patterns were stored as Ems says, on wire hanging loops. When I worked from home I didn't really have room. I used a load of A3 brown envelopes to reduce the amount of folding necessary and then stored them in a big box with descriptions on the side

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:00 am

At the moment I use some concertinas, I have one for patterns for me, one for baby stuff, one for nappies etc but not sure if this system will still work when I'll have more patterns!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 am

Original pattern packets are kept in a box, printed patterns like Fishsticks designs, onced traced, are taken apart again and put in a polypocket and shoved in another box. The tracings are what I'll use most, and I don't mind folding patterns, so they just go in a ringbinder in a polypocket. I label each one with a sticker so I know what it is, eg, "Wee Tot Collection 2T". For home sewing I don't really have the time, space or inclination to make card patterns or hang on wire loops, but I remember my granny doing this as she used the patterns so many times.

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!