hf1

Overlocker? recommendations pls

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Overlocker? recommendations pls

Postby sweetiepups » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:40 pm

I have been longing for an overlocker for absolute ages. Over the last year, I have fallen in love with sewing and taught myself lots.

We had a bit of a clearout and did a bootsale today and have nearly raised enough spare funds for me to think about getting one without feeling too guilty.

I have a Janome sewing machine, so I would probably lean towards the same make. But open to any suggestions.

I would love to find one secondhand at a bargain price but I don;'t think that is going to happen because I have been looking out for one for ages.

But would be very grateful for any recommendations, hints, tips, and advice.

My avatar
clevercuttlefish
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Overlocker? recommendations pls

Postby clevercuttlefish » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 am

Janome overlockers are meant to be good. I have a Frister and Rossman knitlock and although it is easy to thread I really wouldn't recommend it. I seem to have nothing but problems with it - more time spent sorting it out than sewing :x If you have a sewing shop nearby I would say pop in with a variety of fabrics and see if you can have a go on some. I really wish I'd been able to do this.

Happy searching :wine:

Gail x

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:04 pm

clevercuttlefish wrote:If you have a sewing shop nearby I would say pop in with a variety of fabrics and see if you can have a go on some. I really wish I'd been able to do this.

Gail x

Oops :oops: Totally meant to say this!! And don't be hurried either :D

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:35 pm

My advice would be to get something that is a well known brand, not something obscure. I have an old Necchi that I got from my mam, and it's impossible to get parts for without having them imported specially which makes servicing etc very expensive, it'd be so much easier with something like a Janome, Brother or a Husky.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Now while it isn't the prettiest, I have a singer overlocker (that you can now even buy from Tesco).
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.209-3098.aspx
I've found it noisy when going thru thick fabrics, but then again overlockers are a lot noisier than sewing machines. Considering the amount of work I do, it has served me well. I have also recently purchased one of the accessories for it (the gathering foot).

Return to DIY and share your projects!