hf1

Want to make the kids clothes for next year. Qu on machine p

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Want to make the kids clothes for next year. Qu on machine p

Postby happytails » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Ok so jumping the gun abit here :giggle: but I want to start making the kids clothes but I haven't even got a sewing machine yet lol

So recommendations for a good sewing machine (max budget £200-£250)

Also apart from the obvious thread and fabric, what do I need?

How do I go about searching and buying/using patterns?

Im after making knickers, t-shirts, long sleeved tops, trousers, cropped Amd shorts, skirts, dresses, jackets/hoodies everything really lol

Also I've had minimal sewing machine usage, how hard do you think it will be to pick up Amd manage to make nice clothes?

Tia

Sarah x
Last edited by happytails on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Want to make the kids clothes for next year

Postby yellow45 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:39 pm

Oohh...I was going to post a similar topic so will be interested to see what people suggest. I'm wondering what fabric would be good to make some trousers for the winter?

My avatar
Twinkleroo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Twinkleroo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Hi, I'm in no way a sewing expert and only have a very basic sewing machine from argos- I've never needed anything more! Plus i don't really use patterns :oops: I've made a few bits without and plan to make some clothes too, but will prob use old clothes that can't be reused elsewhere as templates, take their elastic and buttons ect...I try not to waste anything :giggle: The material can be expensive depending on where you get it, I love fleece and it's sooo easy to work with as it won't fray. If you have a local scrap store or resouce centre they might have very cheap off cuts you could practise with, ours in Yeovil is fab, it sell allsorts plus lots of patterns too. hope this is of some help :-? x xx :hug:

My avatar
Twinkleroo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Twinkleroo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:10 pm

Yellow 45- I would do trousers in fleece, Actually think i might! :) or cotton lined with fleece if you didn't want them to look to pj like x x x

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:20 pm

You dont need an overlocker if you are sewing knit fabrics so a normal sewing machine is fine to make rompers, and dresses, undies, tees and trousers. Fishsticks designs patterns are nice and easy to make. Fabric wise you are best joining the lls fabric co-op to get the best prints, tho lush tush has a nice range if you want it quickly and dont want to wait a while.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:23 pm

My mum is lending me her sewing machine so watching this with interest. do you need a printer for fishsticks? I don't have one.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:35 pm

I would suggest starting with easy projects using woven fabrics - skirts are a great place to start as you can use woven fabrics, and just sew straight lines for a simple elastic waist skirt.
Knit fabrics stretch, so while they aren't difficult to deal with, they take a bit more practice. You will also need a ball point needle in order to work with knit fabrics. Out of all the knit fabrics, interlock is the easiest to work with.
I would also look for a machine with a good name (Janome, Husqvarna, Pfaff, Singer) as these can be serviced easily and you can also get replacement parts for if you need them.
As for patterns, take a look thru the following
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=73406

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:08 am

I agree with Rae, I have started sewing knit fabrics this year, but I had to buy a £35 walking foot to get a neater line as I was struggling with stretching. For underwear I love the 'That Darn Kat' undies pattern. You have to buy it, but it goes up to age 8 so I hope I'll get lots of use out of it. I have made knickers out of old t-shirts etc that don't fit or have stains etc on one side. 'I heart to sew' on fb is also good, I bought her sundress pattern and it's dead easy. I'd start with just a couple of patterns then see how you get on, and practice on some cheap fabric first.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:37 pm

As others have said, woven fabrics will be easier to start with, Simplicity patterns are good for beginners and I think they're half price somewhere at the minute. Fleece things might be good to start and you can sew up some winter trousers and fleece dresses and hats etc.

I got a pack of 20 gutermann thread spools off ebay for about half their normal price, do yourself a favour and don't use cheap thread for anything you plan to have more than one wear :wink: You might also want to get some hemming tape and fusible web for appliques etc, measuring tape, pins, elastic in several widths (I buy it in pound shops), ribbons and good scissors/rotary cutter. I get tracing paper off ebay for tracing the patterns so they can be used again. Some patterns use interfacing too.

I've been browsing here at machines http://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/?kw=%2B ... fAodOUu9Pg there's a starter package for under £100 inc thread, scissors etc and delivery, I don't know how repuatble the machine is but it looks ideal for a beginner.

Once you are happy sewing knit fabrics, Fishsticks Designs patterns are excellent :wink:

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!