hf1

Handcream recipe that doesn't involve fancy stuff?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Handcream recipe that doesn't involve fancy stuff?

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:27 am

a lot of the handcream recipes i've found use fancy emulsifiers and suchlike or beeswax which i'd have to order...

can anyone recommend a simple handcream recipe? I thought it would be a good present for the gardeners in our family :)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Handcream recipe that doesn't involve fancy stuff?

Postby monsterm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:33 am

You won't be able to make a cream without an emulsifier. The beeswax/vegetable wax ones are technically called a balm but you can make them cream like. Then you could also do a hard lotion bar but you would need beeswax for that too. You could buy a premade base cream & add your own essential/fragrance oils too.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:19 am

Why do you need beeswax for a balm? Can't you just mix almond oil with a nut butter for example?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Completely forgot about the butters. My brain doesn't start functioning until midday :hohoho:

Yup you could whip up some shea butter or cocoa butter with some soft oils. You can use mango butter too but it is more expensive so you could maybe just add a little of it.

60% butters to 40% soft oils is a good mix. I like sweet almond & macademia nut oil as they are light. Almond & cocoa butter are lovely together. You can add a little cornstarch to take away the feeling of greasiness if you like.

This is a good recipe
http://www.shea-butter-and-olein.com/wh ... pe-144.php

A few tips:

If you are using un-refined nut butter, they can be a little grainy. The best way to get rid of this feeling is to melt them down, let them cool & then melt them down again to make the body butter.

Shea butter takes a long time to whip so if you have a kitchen aid or such like, do it in that & leave it work away. Otherwise once you have all of your ingredients in a bowl, put them in the fridge for a minute, whip them for 2 or 3 mins, back in the fridge for a minute & repeat. Could take up to half an hr.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:29 pm

Gently melt shea butter and add olive oil and essential oils, I think I do approx 3/4 butter to 1/4 oil, whip with electric whisk. Makes great nappy balm too x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:32 pm

Could I use grape seed oil?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Yes you can but grape seed oil is a very dry oil so it is not recommended that you use it on it's own. You can use mostly grape seed oil but add some almond, apricot or peach kernal oil to it to balance it out a bit.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Ok - I like grape seed oil as it absorbs nicely into the skin so we used it for baby massage...
What do you mean by dry? Wouldn't the oiliness of the butter balance it out?

Also why do you have to whip them why can't you just melt and mix?

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Grapeseed oil is considered a dry oil which is rougher on the skin & not suitable for sensitive skin. Grapeseed oil would not be used in a moisturising cream for the face because it is considered too rough. It's generally not used in any kind of cream or lotion. I would consider it fine for body butter & massage oils when it is mixed with some softer oils. I don't think the shea butter will be enough to balance it out but the only real way to know is to make up a batch & see how it feels.

If you melt the shea butter & not whip it, it will just become a hard lotion. You whip it to make it easier to apply & more spreadable.

Next

Return to DIY and share your projects!