hf1

Finishing a quilt.

My avatar
lmap44
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Finishing a quilt.

Postby lmap44 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:00 pm

I've finished the front, cut the wadding and backing it with minky, what is the best way of sewing the 3 layers together?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Finishing a quilt.

Postby red_dwarf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:23 pm

I did free motion quilting on mine. You basically use a darning foot on the machine and then draw loops with your stitching all over the quilt. Was a lot easier than I thought and ment I didnt have to make it look perfect cos it wasnt supposed to look perfect. The binding was a lot easier than I thought as well. I you tubed how to bind on a sewing machine and there was a good vidio that showed you how to make the binding, and how to sew it on, do corners etc

My avatar
fay
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby fay » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:28 pm

i put the 2 fronts together sew around leaving a gap then turn the whole thing rightsides out, then either free motion quilt it or line quilt it and then binding is optional, you then just sew the gap by hand.

My avatar
lmap44
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lmap44 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks girls x

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm

I personally dont think that turning and topstitcing a quilt gives a very good look. It makes the edges very bulky, and doesnt look as good as binding it IMO. Also would be a bit of a PITA with the wadding inside too.

My avatar
lmap44
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lmap44 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 pm

I have youtubed and decided that binding is the way to go. Looks quite easy :thumbsup: I also need to free motion the layers together first. found a great website with vids:

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/ ... lines.html

Gonna try that as it looks simple yet effective

Return to DIY and share your projects!