hf1

Help me decide!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Help me decide!

Postby sim » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:32 am

I want a sewing machine! I am a novice, but looking at mid range machines rather than really cheap ones, especially as I would like to make nappies for any future LOs... :wink:

After an earlier thread was bumped up ( @Frances ), I am considering this one: http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/best-sellers/brother/xr6600/8781-c60-v0.htm

BUT I have also heard good things about Husqvarnas (and more recently from @clothmama and @Soupdragon )

So looking at this one
http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/best-sellers/viking-husqvarna/emerald-116/8785-c160-v0.htm
and this one
http://www.sewingmachinediscount.co.uk/sewing-machines/viking-husqvarna/emerald-118/8786-c160-v0.htm
Was keen on the 122 after Tory and Nichola's recommendation, but no one seems to have it in stock and the 118 is very similar.

The sticking point is that I can afford the Brother one NOW but the Husqvarnas are over my budget and I would need to wait until about March / April (possible later if I find a 122!) to get one

What would you do? Is the difference between the machines significant? Do I really need to sweet talk DH into a 118 NOW :giggle:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Thankyou Moderators :)

Re: Help me decide!

Postby Allie » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Not sure about the models linked to but be very wary of buying from that company, their aftersales service isn't the best and they charge you quite a bit if you need to return your machine for repairs etc. My dh bought my first overlocker from there and I ended up paying for it to be repaired locally even though it was supposed to be under warranty :-?

If you google the company there are loads of complaints.....

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the company Allie! The prices are similar elsewhere on the web though so still keen to have opinions on the models if anyone has any...

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:03 pm

I would suggest at this stage that you get yourself to a shop where you can actually try / touch both models that you are interested in. Even a similar model in each brand would be fine too - just to give yourself a feeling of how the machine looks and feels. I was really shocked at how solid mine felt in comparison to similar priced Janome / Pfaff / Bernina etc (can't remember if there were Brothers where I went) which all felt quite plasticy.

You already know what my vote is!!! Now I saw a 122 somewhere the other day except that the colour bit was blue not green - I wonder if it is no longer an 'emerald'??? I'll ask MIL when I see her as I think I was with her at the time. Oh no I've just remembered it was in a magazine :doh: :doh: :oops:

I also really liked that the Husky has a 5 year warranty not sure what the Brother has!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Oh and if you can find them in a shop locally it is always worth asking if they will match the web price. My sister did this recently on her gorgeous Rangemaster stove and the local shop in Hereford matched the price for her :widesmile: . The bonus of buying local is ease of access and I also had a few free lessons thrown in on mine, how to use the gathering foot and put a zip in and do a buttonhole :wine: the shop did well out of me as I always bought from them (when not ordering from the US :oops: :lookround: :giggle: ) so they had my loyalty!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:49 pm

I'd second Tory's suggestions of trying some out and seeing what feels right for you. I much preferred the Husky to the Brother I was considering. No real reason, but it just felt better for me. :oops: And you know I highly rate the Husky. :thumbsup: It just feels like a really solid machine that will last forever. It's coped with everything I've thrown at it so far and I've never felt like it's struggled.

If you did go for one of their models, I'd say go for either the 118 or 122, not the 116. The 122 and 118 both have a slide, which lets you adjust the sewing speed. Makes it much easier to control when you're doing corners. But you can really speed up for straight sewing. And there's also a handy button that lets you choose whether the needle should stay in the fabric or be raised when you stop sewing. Very handy for a scatterbrain like me who raises the foot to adjust fabric but forgets to put the needle down first. :giggle: I probably don't need the extra 10 stitches that the 122 offers over the 118. But I do use the other things it comes with - a transparent foot, which is very handy, and a gathering foot, which I've used for twirly skirts for Iris.

Return to DIY and share your projects!