Basics-what do I need?

My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Basics-what do I need?

Postby yellow45 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Evening all,

I have managed to get a bit of a fabric stash to start making clothes for Toby and I have my machine ready but I need all the other basics. So, what do I need and where's the best place to shop for them?

I had a little sewing kit with my machine but I think it's quite cheap and I'd like things that would last, so what do you use regularly?

Thanks in advance

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Basics-what do I need?

Postby ImisMummy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:59 pm

What sort of clothes are you wanting to make?

I still have only the basics. Machine, decent thread, patterns and pattern paper (although I have been known to use newspapers in the past) elastic, stitch rippers, tailors chalk.

Im currently using dressmakers scissors but find it hard to cut straight lines so if you want a really neat finish i would recommend a rotary cutter and mat.

My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby yellow45 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks for the list. I'm going to start with making t-shirts/trousers and appliquing tops.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:38 pm

For anyhting with knit fabrics you will need a ball point needle for your sewing machine. Bondaweb for applique. I prefer the pens with the disappearing ink in preference to using tailors chalk. I like the flower head pins (as you can iron over them).
I tend to buy a lot from ebay.

Return to DIY and share your projects!