Fabrics

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Fabrics

Postby littlesez » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:12 pm

I am attempting to make Izzy some clothes :lol: Starting with knickers! Using the fishsticks pattern how do I know which fabric is ok to use?
It says cotton knit, does that mean the same as 100% cotton? and cotton blends what are those?
TIA

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Fabrics

Postby busybee » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:16 pm

I'm no expert, but I think cotton knit has more of a stretch to it. woven cotton wouldn't work for knickers. As for blends, well I guess it would depend what the blend was, and how much stretch there is in the material. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will be able to help soon :D

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:17 pm

cotton knits are the interlocks, rib knits and jersey fabrics. IMO interlock is much better than the other options, however you can get away with doing an interlock and rib knit or interlock and jersey mix. For the fishsticks you will definately want an interlock for the waistband and the leg cuffs.
You can get say a jersey with a percentage lycra in it -which would be a blend. You can also get polyester interlock - which feels terrible, but is OK for making bibs or wraps.

My avatar
lmap44
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lmap44 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:35 am

I used interlock for mine and they came up lovely :thumbsup:

Return to DIY and share your projects!