hf1

My machine

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: My machine

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Hmmm this is going by memory and my machines are at my mums so I can't have a look the upper tension is controlled by a spring (at least it is on my old elna) so so it can get over/under tensioned. Does you machine have a dial rather than a slide to alter it? If it has a dial try turning spinning it around until it is as tensioned as it can get (you might need to take the plastic knob off and do it with pliers) and then turning it all the way the other way so its as slack as it can go, try to count the turns it takes to get from one extreme to the other then turn it exactly half way and see how it runs. If it has a slide for tension it must work on a similar system but I'm not sure how you would realign it.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:48 pm

emmavmorgan wrote:Hmmm this is going by memory and my machines are at my mums so I can't have a look the upper tension is controlled by a spring (at least it is on my old elna) so so it can get over/under tensioned. Does you machine have a dial rather than a slide to alter it? If it has a dial try turning spinning it around until it is as tensioned as it can get (you might need to take the plastic knob off and do it with pliers) and then turning it all the way the other way so its as slack as it can go, try to count the turns it takes to get from one extreme to the other then turn it exactly half way and see how it runs. If it has a slide for tension it must work on a similar system but I'm not sure how you would realign it.

Ohh thank you. It is a knob and I had turned it both ways, many times!! But I have never taken the knob off and done it with pliers. Off to have a go.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:12 am

Nope its still the same :(

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:31 am

Ar$e will have a tink today :hug:

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 am

emmavmorgan wrote:Ar$e will have a tink today :hug:

:wave:
Thank you. I will post a pic later of the stitching. Just the odd stitch went right on the top it then made the reverse stitch wonky, then as soon as the stitch went back to how it had been before, the stitch on the bottom did too. I turned the tension a little bit at a time starting from one end to the other.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am

You shouldn't have to put sellotape round the spindle. That may well be what's causing the tight top tension - it will be artificially holding back the top thread. It sounds like your tension on the top is too loose, causing the bunching, or the tension on the bottom is too tight. Try adjusting the tension dial and seeing if that seems to make a difference to how easy or hard it is to pull the thread through. Otherwise if that seems to be working it really sounds like a threading issue - not that that helps if you're just doing what you usually do.........

My mum had this and she was putting her lower bobbin in the bobbin case the wrong way round and she had convinced herself she was doing it right - and she has been sewing for over 60 years........so worth a double check.

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:22 am

@northernruth

Thanks Ruth. This is what it looked like with the sellotape on the spindle :oops:
Top side
Underneath

This is after I have removed the tape.

As you can see some of the stitching is good, but then when you turn it over it look like this

Underneath

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 am

and I have checked the bobbin with the instruction book and it is in the right way round :-?

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:54 am

I wish I could help but I'm a member of the throw-it-out-the-window club I'm afraid. I still have one machine that is not stitching properly after several people have looked at it and its not worth the time and trouble to take it to the shop! However since I have my beautiful Bernina I have not had to worry about that at all :widesmile: But don't get me started on overlockers :x One of them did the most random thing ever yesdterday and no idea what's wrong with it now :roll:

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!