hf1

What height do you sew at?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

What height do you sew at?

Postby Mareth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:02 pm

For those of you that do a lot of sewing, or are sewing WAHMs, what height is your sewing table?

I've been working at my kitchen table for the last while, as we don't currently have an alternative. But it's causing/contributing to serious back problems, so I need to work something else out, although I have no idea where I'll put whatever else I get :lol: . I have a feeling that I'd be better off sewing at a higher table and standing or perching on a high-ish stool, rather than sitting.

I've been looking at IKEA's table top & leg combos, but they're quite expensive.

Where do you sew? What height table do you sew at? Do you sit/stand/mixture/other Help me figure out how to fix my poor back :roll:

My avatar
queen bee
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: What height do you sew at?

Postby queen bee » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 pm

I've got a Horner sewing cabinet with my sewing machine on an air lift. Not sure how high it is. It doesn't feel any different from when I use the dining table.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:13 pm

kitchen table.

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:24 pm

i have a sewing room with a table that is standard dining table height. I do find i get backache if i have been particularly concentrating on a particular thing for a long time

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:43 pm

At college all the sewing machines were on desks, usual desk height. Bear in mind your knees need to fit under and your legs straight for the foot pedal. Other than that I can't see how sitting higher up would help.

I did have a counter top on trestles for pattern drafting and fabric cutting when I was a dressmaker but that was only used for those purposes, I had a normal table for sewing. That was at a height that I could use standing up.

Have you thought about a different chair?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:04 pm

A different chair might help, and would definitely be cheaper LOL.

I know my mam has quite a high sewing bench in her shop, custom built. She normally stands and sews or perches on a stool.

Once we move and I have space for a sewing room (combined spare room) I think I'll have to invest in a table, might get an adjustable one so I can change it to either sit or stand. The combo I want will be about €160 though, which is quite a lot, but worth it if it saves my back I suppose LOL

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I have to be really careful with my back(spent most of 2010 in wheelchair due to a botched spinal anesthetic) and I sew at the kitchen table but use an office chair, it was my DSE assessed chair from work but when we moved offices it didn't go with the new decor so they got me a new one and let me have the old one :giggle:
I find pattern drafting and cutting out sets mine off, could really do with a high surface I can stand at but we don't have space, luckily DH does most of it for me, he's a dab hand with a rotary cutter now :giggle:

Return to DIY and share your projects!