Fabric-US or UK?

My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Fabric-US or UK?

Postby yellow45 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi ladies,

Where works out best price-wise for fabric-here or US? I'm finding it difficult to buy anything cheap, especially solid cotton interlock and cotton ribbing in the colours I want here in the UK, everything seems so expensive compared to US stores. By the time I pay for postage/charges, is it any cheaper to buy from the US? I did buy some solid interlock from Tissu and it's still running after numerous washes so don't want to use them again.

Also, does anyone know what the custom charges are or is there a limit I can keep it under to avoid them?

Thanks.

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Fabric-US or UK?

Postby katyav » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:42 pm

I find it cheaper getting from the US, or around the same price for a better selection. I used to place large orders to 'offset' the postage prices, but I know other people place smaller ones so they avoid paying customs. You could always check out the Collectively Crafty co-op group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/collectivelycraftycoops/), they often do co-ops with sites like Fabric.com, Nature's Fabrics etc :thumbsup:

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Fabric-US or UK?

Postby Rae » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:57 pm

For solid colours I would suggest you buy from Vend in preference to Tissu. Yes they are more expensive but there are no colour run issues. Tissu are good for their patterned interlocks. Actually there was talk of the Collectively Crafty group doing a bulk order from Vend in order to get a discount, but I'm not sure where that is at in the process. Vend also sell ribbing.

Return to DIY and share your projects!