Minki wipes

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Minki wipes

Postby Bessandra » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 am

Hey there
If I wanted to use minki fabric for wipes, a) is this a good idea and b) do they need hemming (does it fray) please?
Thanks so much, in advance x

Oh, and how does it wash? Does it come up nicely? Or go crusty after a while?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Minki wipes

Postby Louise » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:31 am

I'm fairly sure minkee is the same as fleece in that it doesn't need hemming. I've got both minkee and fleece liners that have raw cut edges and they have never frayed. Minkee stays soft, it doesn't go hard like absorbent fabrics such as bamboo terry can. I've not used minkee wipes but I'm not keen on fleece ones as they don't really clean bottoms very well so I would imagine I wouldn't like minkee much either.

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Bessandra » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:37 am

Hi Louise
That's a really valid point actually.. I have fleece wipes for botty and they aren't very good at all...maybe minkee (sp?) for the face might be nice? And I hadnt thought about minkee liners.. Tho that may work out expensive?
Many thanks

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 am

Louise is right, minkee doesn't need hemming and should stay soft too. I have minkee wipes but they are all backed with bamboo terry (or similar) because minkee & fleece are great for wet nappies but useless for soiled one's - you need the terry to grip the poo and remove. Minkee would just smear it around :lol:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 am

What Louise said I have minkee liner and they are raw edges I do you them for hankey's ect when we are out and about but they don't seem to clean that well.

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:21 pm

I have some lovely wipes that I bought from Tiny Nippers and they're bamboo terry one side and minki the other. Its a perfect combination.

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Bessandra » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Ah thanks shaunie Kim & RM!

I've just been checking out Tiny Nippers... Think I might place a little order :giggle:

Thank you for all your help, as per x

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Our dotty minkee wipes are my favourite, the dots give just the right level of friction :giggle: They're backed with bamboo terry I think, to give them a bit more thickness.

My avatar
Bessandra
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Bessandra » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Frances wrote:Our dotty minkee wipes are my favourite, the dots give just the right level of friction :giggle: They're backed with bamboo terry I think, to give them a bit more thickness.

Hehehe! Brilliant! :giggle:

Return to DIY and share your projects!