Is minki absorbent?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Is minki absorbent?

Postby Louise » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:08 pm

mudita wrote:Ladies, just to satisfy my curiousity, I emailed tots bots and asked them, seemed simplest!

"The minky inners are the same minky as other nappy outers. There is only one type of minky, just different manufacturers produce it."

Hope that helps the mystery.
:thumbsup:

Nope, even more :loopy: :loopy: :loopy: now :hohoho:

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:09 pm

mudita wrote:Ladies, just to satisfy my curiousity, I emailed tots bots and asked them, seemed simplest!

"The minky inners are the same minky as other nappy outers. There is only one type of minky, just different manufacturers produce it."

Hope that helps the mystery.
:thumbsup:

Well done :-) Hmmm how strange :-? Maybe I will try making a booster out of minki and see what happens!!

My avatar
fluffybummum
Clothie
Clothie

Postby fluffybummum » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:21 pm

I really dont see the confusion - Minkee fabric is v absorbent and was used with close baby pop in dream dri inners - Just like fleece it can be used on inner or outer and still have a stay dry on bum effect.

I too tested the new easyfit and can confirm its fantastic - I loved thed V2 easyfit and totsbots know a thing or two about nappies given all their awards so I dont think they would change something that aint broke without good reason :D It works brilliantly on my chunky, weealot toddler - I love the fit and as previous poster says it does dry amazingly quickly!

Dont knock it til you've tried it!

It is nothing like the fluffle fabric of old (Which I loved too and used with my first 2)

HTH :D

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 pm

The bernatex minkee I've used previously for making nappy outers is definately not absorbant, it gets damp in the same way polyester fleece does but definately would not work as the absorbant part of a nappy.
This is confusing me :loopy: , it can't possibly be manufactured in the same way as bernatex minkee, the fibres must be spun in the same way as microfibre is so that the moisture is trapped between the fibres so you would still get the issue of the moisture 'squishing' out.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:16 pm

:loopy: :loopy: :loopy: :eek: :panic: :notallthere:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:36 pm

:hohoho: :hohoho: at you lot, think maybe it is best to try and not figure out how it works and just take their word for it that it does or you will all go :loopy: :loopy:

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 pm

It can't be the same. If you pour a glass of water on minkee it will run off, and fitteds with minkee outers don't get wet in the same way as fitteds with bamboo outers do. It's not a case of believing, it's scientific fact that a fabric which repels water isn't an absorbant one!
As Louise said, either the fibres are twisted differently, or there is some kind of treatment involved in the process of making one or the other fabrics (either heat or a coating etc) to make them behave differently. You couldn't make fleece inserts could you? Same reasons!

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Kirstyh wrote::hohoho: :hohoho: at you lot, think maybe it is best to try and not figure out how it works and just take their word for it that it does or you will all go :loopy: :loopy:

But I need to knoooooooooooow :hohoho:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Who is going to brave & ask totsbots?

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!