Is minki absorbent?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Is minki absorbent?

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:53 pm

dawnsmummy wrote:
Kirstyh wrote::hohoho: :hohoho: at you lot, think maybe it is best to try and not figure out how it works and just take their word for it that it does or you will all go :loopy: :loopy:

But I need to knoooooooooooow :hohoho:

But why, you don't even need nappies :hohoho:

My avatar
mudita
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mudita » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:54 pm

I did ask Tots bots, they said it was the same fabric as is used for nappy outers.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Shhhhh Kirsty! It's handy to stay up to date with these things.... :lookround: lol

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:59 pm

I have some minki/minkee liners from WeeNotions which I used on Deborah when she was a newborn, and I remember rinsing them out and realising just how much they soaked up, and had me doubting their stay-dry-properties! :giggle: They were really heavy, and when soaked in water, you could squeeze a *lot* of liquid out. So I always knew it must be absorbent, but hadn't thought of using it for a nappy inner until the new Tots Bots came out. It really does feel/look the same as the liners I had, and it *does* work. It still feels less damp than a natural fibre (bamboo/cotton) would, but has soaked up a lot!

Guess everyone just needs to try one! :thumbsup: :widesmile:

My avatar
Vigornia
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Vigornia » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27 pm

I personally don't find minky fabric to be very stay dry, and they are prone to wicking. I've given up with minky inners. I guess it all depends what you put it next to though. We all know that hemp locks wee away better than mf, so how can you be sure minky isn't absorbent if you always put it next to bamboo that will lock wee away better?

I think "minky" is just a type of microfibre fabric where the loops have been shaved to form a pile to make it softer. The absorbency comes from holding moisture between fibres, rather than absorbing into fibres like natural fabrics.

I personally hate microfibre with a passion. I hate the way it feels, and the wee gets squeezed out of it the second your tot sits down. I like natural fabrics, from an environmental point of view, comfort, absorbency, feel, the list goes on. But I have tried the new EF, and I have to say it is brilliant. The minky fabric is a longer pile than weenotions use. There's no hidden middle layer, it's just minky. When you open the parcel, the first thing you will do is to stroke that minky on your cheek. I guarantee it! The fit is better than the V2, and I would say the performance is just as good. I don't know how it's so absorbent, it just is.

I think rather than criticise it or say that "that can't work", perhaps you should try it. If you're not prepared to try it, then please believe the people who have. :love:

Please also remember that although tots bots isn't a WAHM working alone, it is still a family run business. The mum who runs the company is just very *very* good at what she does, she's very hands on from design through to marketing, along with being a mum on top.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:03 am

Well said, Zoe. x

My avatar
Tara84
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Tara84 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:44 am

I'm certainly not criticising, just confused :giggle: I'm the sort of person who *needs* to know how something works, I'm not happy to just accept what I'm told without seeing the evidence

My avatar
Bernie_piddle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Bernie_piddle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:03 pm

It really works. I always found minky outers on nappies got wet. Don't forget a fabric can be wet but feel dry. I have been testing the new easy fit and can vouch for it being all minky and very absorbant as well as drying really fast. The minky feels like any other minky I have used like the outers on my old blueberry pockets. Try one you won't be disappointed.

My avatar
didifrench
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby didifrench » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:40 pm

There used to be nappies made of fleece :wink:

I haven't tried the new easyfit, but I can confirm that minky is absorbent. I have tested the new lollipop super softee, I have never been a fan of microfibre but I was pleasantly surprised to see how well it works. The lollipop ones has a hidden microfibre layer though, liquid isn't squeezed out of the nappy like microfibre ones and definitely stay dries next to the skin. It is not as absrbent as bamboo, but is a great fabric when people want a slim yet absorbant and fast drying nappy .

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!