hf1

Is minki absorbent?

My avatar
jennyclaire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Is minki absorbent?

Postby jennyclaire » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm

i was lucky enough to get one and the insert is all minky but it works. I did boost it but I boost with any nappy and is good. Surprised though as I didn't think minky was absorbant, but apparently this stuff is!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I contacted tots bots last week but only heard back from them today. This is what they said:

Thank you for contacting TotsBots.

Minky is an absorbent material and that is why we have decided to use it in our Easyfits. If it appears repellent then there is a possibility that the minky has been treated to repel moisture.

I use minky liners inside my cloth nappies and they allow the moisture to be absorbed and it does not sit on top of the nappy.

I hope this helps.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:05 pm

So Tots Bots must have special minkee

:giggle: :roll:

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:35 pm

I don't understand why all the :roll: over this?

Let's be honest, Tots Bots started off as a WAHM sewing nappies made from towels, and had grown to a hugely sucessful company, stocked by major high street retailers and selling all over the world. They're won countless awards and have a huge fan base.

Why is it so hard to trust that they know what they are talking about? especially when the people who are doubting haven't even seen one of the new nappies, let alone try one, and seem to be testing the claims by testing something else other than one of the nappies.

I actually have one here unused, that I was given by Fiona for helping out at the Tots Bots stand at the BabyShow. I would be more than happy to send it to someone to try for a while so they can pass judgement after trying it themselves. If anyone wants to give it a whirl, let me know...

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:41 pm

fluffy_mummy wrote:I don't understand why all the :roll: over this?

Let's be honest, Tots Bots started off as a WAHM sewing nappies made from towels, and had grown to a hugely sucessful company, stocked by major high street retailers and selling all over the world. They're won countless awards and have a huge fan base.

Why is it so hard to trust that they know what they are talking about? especially when the people who are doubting haven't even seen one of the new nappies, let alone try one, and seem to be testing the claims by testing something else other than one of the nappies.

I actually have one here unused, that I was given by Fiona for helping out at the Tots Bots stand at the BabyShow. I would be more than happy to send it to someone to try for a while so they can pass judgement after trying it themselves. If anyone wants to give it a whirl, let me know...

I'd love to give it a go - I really can't understand how it could work! I think it's just hard to understand how a material that everyone knows of as a stay-dry material can suddenly be a super absorbant one...

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:50 pm

I'd be happy to send it to you to try for a bit - it's orange with applix. Have some other bits to post tomorrow (or at least, get J to post tomorrow!) so pm me your address and I'll send it to you.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:57 pm

fluffy_mummy wrote:especially when the people who are doubting haven't even seen one of the new nappies, let alone try one, and seem to be testing the claims by testing something else other than one of the nappies.

The OP was asking if minkee in general is absorbent. I am very intrigued as to how it can be hence why I was happy to test some inserts. I have no intentions of ever buying a Tots Bots nappy so this was the best way for me personally to find out how well minkee performs as an insert.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:17 pm

There is no hoo har at all - i have no doubt that it is absorbent and does work, they are a big company and i am quite sure they wouldnt sell a nappy that didnt work.

I think we are all so curious though because for many years (4 here) minkee has been stay dry and hasnt acted as an absorbent material at all... so, TB must have some kind of special minkee - un coated, extra fibres, or whatever... but i am honestly doubting that it is the same minkee we are all used to buying from WAHMs both here, and abroad.

I've had minkee from the UK and USA WAHMs and have never had to ask for a special kind, they all use the same one, which has lead us all to believe minkee is minkee, but clearly - its not.

To be honest, i find it slightly annoying now when people are just suggesting we should accept it. Thankfully i have always been one to want to know how things work and i dont think i or anyone else is wrong for questioning this. If it works, BRILL - its another insert to consider for use in future nappies, but understanding how it works is key for many of us to building a perfect nappy.

We all know for example that hemp works best next to another material that is quick to absorb, we know bamboo is super thirsty, zorb locks wetness away... minkee has *always* been stay dry and now we are lead to believe it isnt.

There's no harm in being curious.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:57 pm

I don't get why everyone is getting to defensive about this tbh.
Like Rox said, we're just bamboozled as to how something that was stay dry, is now super absorbant. No-one is bad mouthing Tots Bots. No-one is saying they're rubbish or that they're lying. We just don't understand it. I know I don't! We're just curious as to how it works. (I love How It's Made... Might have to look for some on tonight :hohoho: )

I can't wait to have a little bottom to put in one so I can try them out though. The fairytale nappies are gorgeous :D

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and share your projects!