hf1

Refusing the bottle - help!

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Refusing the bottle - help!

Postby justme123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Dd has had a bottle at bedtime for several months. More recently I have been trying to increase the number of bottle feeds she has and had reached a point where she would bf mostly for snacks / top ups and would have 3 bottles a day. She has been taking the bottle well until yesterday she decided she wouldn't have bottles anymore. She screams and pushes it away whenever I try and put it near her mouth and just wants to bf. Which would be OKish although not really what I was wanting, except that my supply obviously is not sufficient to bf her full time, so she gets frustrated and bites me, but still won't take the bottle. Also she now won't go to sleep without bf (she was falling asleep very happily on the bottle or after a feed) so now she wont sleep either. Last night I eventually got her down at about 11.30, then she was up again at 1.30, then at 2.30, after which I couldn't get her back down until 5am. Most of which time was her fussing and screaming and not drinking the milk. She was up again at 7am and wouldn't take a bottle or go to sleep until about 11.30 despite clearly being exhausted.

I managed to get a bottle down her this evening by putting handles on it and letting her do it herself, but once that was gone we were back again. I have just now got her to sleep after more than 2 hrs of continuous bf and fussing.

Any ideas? I know my supply will come back if I keep feeding her like this, but tbh I'd really like her to take the bottles again...

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Refusing the bottle - help!

Postby confusinglady » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Not got much advice, Didn t want to read and run.
Could it be teeth or she's coming down with something? Sounds like she s not sure what to do with herself, maybe it's not feed related at all.
Or if she liked the handles maybe go with the handles.
I hope it settles down xxx

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks :hug: She does have a bit of a cold so it probably is a comfort thing. Just hope it passes soon.

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:35 am

Sounds possibly like teething to me. I remember asking my health visitor about this when DD was 4 months and she told me it was too early to be teething and she might have thrush :( , she cut her first tooth a week later and she certainly did not have thrush.

I think i used to put teething gel on about 5-10 mins before she was due a feed and this helped. Also bought a teething necklace for her, i'm still 50:50 on whether they work but have kept it for DC2 as i'll take any help i can get.

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:45 am

@justme123

My two are like this when they have teeth coming in, they won't have the bottle anywhere near them, my trick is to pop dummy in and leave them until they are very nearly asleep, quickly pop dummy out and bottle in and et voila they take bottle!! If I just keep trying with the bottle whilst they are awake they get more and more determined not to take it, and we don't have a breast back up so they need to, this is the only way I have found that works xxx

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks :hug: I don't think it's teeth - she recently cut her 4th tooth and hasn't done this for any of them before and I can't see any more coming (though she won't really let me look so there could be another at the top or not yet visible). She has a teething necklace :-)

She doesn't have a dummy, she stopped using it at about 4 months - though I did consider buying one yesterday for exactly that purpose. Not sure I could quite justify re-introducing one at this stage though. If this goes on for much longer I might try though :roll:

This morning I haven't tried with the bottle yet - my supply seems to be improving so I have just bf for an easy life. I'll try again after lunch.

Thanks again :-)

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning