Does anyone avoid grains for babies? Need some help

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Does anyone avoid grains for babies? Need some help

Postby Grrushka » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi,

I have recently come across some articles saying that babies should not really eat any grains before they are about 2 or at least 1. Apparently they are not able to digest it all and the excess can damage their gut etc. Boris has got eczema which is pretty much settled now but I am trying to modify his diet at the mo as I'm sure it is related.
He is already off dairy although we do goats cheese which he is fine with. I am studying nutrition but that's my fist year of biomedicine so haven't covered any of that yet:(

I have a really nice and knowledgeable lady in my local health food shop and she advised not to give him too much grains and especially gluten.

We eat a lot of bread, pasta and other flour based things in this house so it is quite difficult to change everything overnight, especially as these are some of the easiest snacks/meals to give to him(doing BLW).
I thought maybe I could reduce the amounts that he is having and maybe avoid gluten all together? :-?

He will be 11 months this month so he's already had quite a lot of the stuff but I suppose it is never too late.

Would really appreciate some advice and maybe some recipies. Especially for tasty gluten free breads:)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Does anyone avoid grains for babies? Need some help

Postby littlesez » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:05 pm

I *TRY* to avoid grains as wheat especially makes me bloated and at worst stomach cramps. we tend to eat lots of potatoes and high carb veg like sweet potatoe, butternut squash, parsnips, celeriac ect. instead xx

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:16 pm

I don't eat a lot of bread as it really bloats me an I suppose in the grand scheme of my diet I don't think I eat large amounts of grain.
I know some one who has lost 5 stone since october by gutting grain from her diet!

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Grrushka » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:28 pm

I am from Poland and bread is a basic food over there we can eat it with most things. Nowadays I eat much less bread, maybe because I can't stand regular english bread :oops: sorry. But I still love good home made/patisserie bread, mmm. My boy loves pasta and it is an easy and tasty supper option when there is little time to prepare something. I guess we could eat more rice, quinoa... Does cous cous contain gluten?

Aargh I don't think we can avoid grains completely :shock: Am I being too lazy?

He already eats lots of fruit and veg as he is not very keen on meat...

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:53 pm

I don't really know much about it but I'm sure you can buy gluten free flour and breads, pasta etc in the supermarkets. Mia and I don't eat much bread unless I make it as it contains soya flour which she can't have and the bread we do eat is brown multigrain/multiseed. I think @50ftQueenie is/was gluten free so might have some tips.

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:00 pm

I avoided giving dd wheat until she was 1, and limited it until she was 2. My brother has severe crohns, and I wanted her digestive system to mature before throwing wheat at it. For the same reason, she's never had wheat based cereals.

Wasnt difficult, but I didn't limit other grains, just wheat.

My avatar
Grrushka
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Grrushka » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 pm

Twinkletoes wrote:I avoided giving dd wheat until she was 1, and limited it until she was 2. My brother has severe crohns, and I wanted her digestive system to mature before throwing wheat at it. For the same reason, she's never had wheat based cereals.

Wasnt difficult, but I didn't limit other grains, just wheat.

I think I might do that just wheat and other grains containing gluten. I've already found some recipies so can't wait for my health food shop to re-open after easter so I can do some shopping :D and :blw:

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning