hf1

Just asking for a friend thats having twins

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Just asking for a friend thats having twins

Postby laceybat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:21 pm

can you breast feed twins solely and if so do you do it at the same time or sepratly

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Just asking for a friend thats having twins

Postby sim » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:25 pm

A friend of mine had twin girls a couple of months before I had Ewan. While she was getting used to breastfeeding she fed them singly - though they spent some time in NICU and she worked very hard to get them from tube feeding to mixed EBM and bf to exclusive breastfeeding.

Once they were a bit older and bf was well established she used to tandem feed at home if they both wanted feeding at the same time (though they didn't always) but when out of the house she used to feed them one at a time.

HTH!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:27 pm

so it can be done as she's been told to feed one on the boob and one from the bottle and then the other way round the next time :evil:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:31 pm

Nope, if she feeds them on demand then her supply will respond. My friend did use fenugreek to boost her supply in the early days and had to drink loads of water. She also had a childcare student on placement with her three days a week for a while - this helped her to concentrate on feeding the babies etc while the student did some nappy changes and other 'mother's help' things. She also had a lot of family support in managing cooking etc in the early days (still does, actually, 3 years on).

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:34 pm

well i shall tell her as she really want to try and feed both herself which i think is great thing to do
thank i'll tell her about the supplement as well

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:55 pm

I tried to BF both of mine, but Riley just didnt take to it, so I used to pump for her one feed and FF lockie, then BF lockie and FF riley the next. To be honest i found it exhausting, but i had no help and a husband that had to go on overseas business trips half of the month.

But I know of plenty of twin mums who have exclusively BF'd. If she can get help then its easily possible. Getting them onto the same routine is essential otherwise she will never be able to leave the house.

Tell her to go onto Tamba.org its a twin and multiple forum and there are plenty of people who will point her in the direction to get off to a good start. Life is a whole lot different with twins!

My avatar
laceybat
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby laceybat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:01 pm

yer i was talking to my mum about it as she had twin's my Little brother and sister and she said the same about getting them in to the same routine she use to wake the other when the first one got up. she only mange 5 day with the twins

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Mum expressed full time for us when we were in scbu for 3 months.She used to get a pint of breastmilk off at a time! It is possible to exclusively bf twins but hard work for the first few months I think!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:52 pm

laceybat wrote:yer i was talking to my mum about it as she had twin's my Little brother and sister and she said the same about getting them in to the same routine she use to wake the other when the first one got up. she only mange 5 day with the twins

Its a bit brutal really to start with.... its kind of like well your brother's hungry so time for you to feed too! but it doesnt take that long to get them onto a schedule!

lazylexis wrote:Mum expressed full time for us when we were in scbu for 3 months.She used to get a pint of breastmilk off at a time! It is possible to exclusively bf twins but hard work for the first few months I think!

WOW a pint!!!!! I was happy with a few oz's! you are totally right the first few months are exhausting, and if you get enough help then its possible. most people I know who have done it have had family living in with them for a good chunk of the time.

Next

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning