hf1

Steralizing

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Steralizing

Postby ems101 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Do you steralize bowls, spoons cups etc when you start weaning? I did with Jen,but it seems a bit mad now!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Steralizing

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 pm

nope I'm not even steralizing her bottles this time. I didnt steralize the toots's eating stuff.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 pm

I thought with bottles it was more about the milk getting caught in the teat, but i guess they all just need a hot soapy wash or dishwasher ;)

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:12 pm

ems101 wrote:I thought with bottles it was more about the milk getting caught in the teat, but i guess they all just need a hot soapy wash or dishwasher ;)

exactly!

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Nope :)

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Nope, you don't need to steralize cups, spoons etc once they're 6 months. Official advice is still to steralize for 12 months for bottles though. :roll:

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:03 pm

stormflowers wrote:Nope, you don't need to steralize cups, spoons etc once they're 6 months. Official advice is still to steralize for 12 months for bottles though. :roll:

Not over here, the guidelines have changed. and to be honest I completely agree, unless you are sterilising a bottle immediately before you use it then bacteria etc will grow until you use it. Sterilising will only get rid of the stuff that is there and not stop any more. So washing in hot soapy water or in the dishwasher has exactly the same effect.

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm

gilbertandmartha wrote:
stormflowers wrote:Nope, you don't need to steralize cups, spoons etc once they're 6 months. Official advice is still to steralize for 12 months for bottles though. :roll:

Not over here, the guidelines have changed. and to be honest I completely agree, unless you are sterilising a bottle immediately before you use it then bacteria etc will grow until you use it. Sterilising will only get rid of the stuff that is there and not stop any more. So washing in hot soapy water or in the dishwasher has exactly the same effect.

Yes, I know the Stateside rules are much more relaxed re: steralization. I should have said official UK Government advice :wink:

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35 pm

I sterilised bottles til 12 months, but nothing else!

Return to Breast feeding, Bottles, Solids and Baby Led Weaning